Sunday, March 10, 2024

quick tip

I haven't been doing anything adventurous in the kitchen (or anywhere else) lately, but this handy trick for making easy-to-spread butter is something I've been doing for months and have been meaning to share.

For years I assumed the pricey "spreadable butter" on the market is blended with oils in some sort of fancy industrial process. And it probably is. It never occurred to me to try to make it myself.

This simple and effective method comes from Nancy Birtwhistle, a Great British Bake Off champion and author of four books on "green living." She generously shares loads of recipes and tips online, including this one, so I think it's okay to describe it here.

Nancy recommends using a handheld "electric whisk" - not sure what that is but I have a handheld mixer and use that - to cream butter for a couple of minutes. Then gradually add an oil (in a bit more than 1/3 the weight/volume of the butter), whisking constantly to emulsify. So far I've used grapeseed oil, canola oil, and olive oil. So far they have all been delicious.

The whole process takes just a few minutes, including transferring the mixture into containers for refrigeration or use. The clean-up actually takes longer for me, in part because I make a pot of bulgur at the same time and when the spreadable butter is done I "pre-wash" the buttery beaters by sinking them briefly in the hot bulgur so not a bit of the butter will be wasted.

I love butter but I don't love trying to scrape hard butter across a piece of bread. This has  been a very helpful tip for me. Maybe for you, too?

p.s. Just found an Instagram post from Nancy last year, demonstrating her technique. Fingers crossed the link works - I don't know much about IG. 

p.p.s. Turns out I do have an "electric whisk" - every day's a school day!

~~~~~

9 comments:

  1. Thank you! I'm going to look her up. I might try the butter idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it, Liz! The first link above, on Nancy's name, goes to her website. But if you just google her, you'll find loads of clips and articles, too.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. I bet homemade tastes better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to try different oils, too. Just like when I make mayonnaise :)

      Delete
  3. The buttery pre-wash in hot bulgur is a great idea!

    I poked around Nancy Birtwhistle's website. Choc and Berry Steamed Pudding - OMG!!!

    Heard the first meadowlarks singing today, out in the sagebrush just after a passing hailstorm had pelted Rowan and me. Ah March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was Chris from Boise, as you may have surmised.

      Delete
    2. Meadowlarks! And Nancy is a treat. And generous. I've gotten so many useful tips from her (online, for free) that I just bought her latest book because it only seemed fair!

      Delete
  4. We actually do something similar only we whip ours using water instead of oil. Will have to try your version and see if we like it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know water would "mix" with butter, which just shows how much I (don't) know about butter!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.