Wednesday, January 25, 2023

soup day


Gloomy skies making for more gloomy photographs, sorry.
I keep checking my laptop to see if the screen brightness is turned down.
It is not.


Snow and more snow. The hay cart has taken a holiday and the hay sled is back in action at last. There's more snow, then a lot more rain, in the forecast. I much prefer snow and it's certainly a lot healthier for the goats, but I suppose we must bloom where we are planted, even if we are planted in mud.


Today is a cooking day, and the cupboard/fridge review has revealed extra-coarse bulgur, chicken broth, carrots, spinach: another kettle of soup in my immediate future. Is soup a big part of your daily fare? Having a constant supply of soup has become one of the best things I can do for myself. I've proven repeatedly - and without even trying to prove it with one of my experiments! - that if there is "real food" on hand that's ready to eat, or ready to reheat and eat, I genuinely prefer to eat that instead of reaching for a snack or something sweet. So keeping my little fridge stocked with pyrex containers of things like soup, chili, cooked veg, or pasta, pretty much guarantees healthy eating most of the time. Whereas no matter how many wonderful ingredients may be waiting in the cupboard, when I come in from evening chores there is a near-zero-percent chance that I will start cooking. So making a big batch of something good once or twice weekly and portioning out for the fridge or freezer makes for a healthier diet. Does it sound like I'm trying to make a virtue of laziness? It does to me, but I'm okay with that.

I don't have a picture of soup but here is a cheerful-looking concoction made in the blender a couple of weeks ago, to use up a big jar of beet slices and half a tub of very tart plain yogurt:

Blended with a little water to thin, and a pinch of baking soda to balance the vinegar-y beets. It was a "waste not want not" endeavor, and I just hoped it would be drinkable. Well. It turned out to be incredibly refreshing, and I have been craving it ever since. Is this a known beverage? I'm wondering if it may turn out to be like my watered-down plain yogurt creation which I'd been drinking for decades before learning it is a traditional Turkish beverage called "ayran."

~~~~~

25 comments:

  1. I make batches of soup and other handy food. I don't have snacks around, just ingredients! I think it's much better for health. I like that yogurt drink, noted. And I've made food I eventually discovered had names! Caprese salad? No kidding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the beet drink which would have the added advantage that my husband would never drink it all up. He hates beets and goes so far as to say food should not be purple. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone once told me that lavender tea "tastes purple" which made me laugh!

      Delete
  3. sorry I meant to be kayT not anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. January has been very gloomy for us here in Southern Ontario. I am craving some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds very much like our January here in central MA. The rare flashes of blue sky and sunshine have been dazzling.

      Delete
  5. Another big fan of soup here. It's our favorite winter lunch, even without snow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, soup! I freeze or can it so it can be easily prepared by my open-the-fridge-and-eat-whatever husband! You would not believe the lengths I go to to protect cheese from disappearing as he will grab it first. But he loves soup so I trybto keep a goodly variety on hand. And I like it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese is one of my go-to snacks for sure :)

      Delete
  7. When I first cleaned up my eating at the age of 40, one of my favorite morning smoothies was yogurt with pineapple. I'd have it alongside a piece of toast with peanut butter. I do make a lot of soup -- sometimes, it's just a big bag of frozen broccoli or mixed veges (brocc/cauliflower/carrots) that I cook up with spices, blend and add coconut milk to. Always good with some nice toasty bread alongside it. I also make a really yummy vegan mac&cheese that I make a lot. I do love leftovers. :) It's been very foggy and overcast here for most of the month. Rain again yesterday which makes for super messy walks. Take care and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of using coconut milk as the liquid part of a veg soup - thanks for another great idea, Tammy!

      Delete
  8. Ansel Adams. Your beautiful black and whites remind me of his..so thank you. My winter freezer only allows soup. Tons and tons. Best life,I think. Beside the fire with tons of books ..aahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's a very nice compliment, thank you! And yes, a freezer full of soup is a perfect backdrop to a stack of books by the fire :)

      Delete
  9. The snow has been pretty. Not lazy - we do ready-to-reheat meals for week days ourselves! It's efficient! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a happier life with good food waiting in the fridge. Watering down the yogurt sounds goods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding a pinch of salt to the yogurt makes it even better :)

      Delete
  11. Hmmmm - a beet sits languishing in the crisper. I suddenly have a plan for it!

    PaintedThread is correct: cooking in batches is efficient and sensible. Especially in the winter when everything else (= goats) takes up so much energy and time.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here's a fun recent screech owl video: https://youtu.be/fwRlc3CiD4M

    At the moment (9 pm), with the temperature dropping into single digits tonight, a fox squirrel is cozily wrapped up in its tail in the box. We don't have the heart to evict it till the temperatures moderate a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a wonderful camera set-up - thank you for the link! I'll look forward to seeing more :)

      Delete
  13. Not lazy; smart! It makes me so happy to look into my freezer and see stacks and stacks of my homemade freezer meals in Pyrex containers. I have at least a dozen of the 3-cup rectangles, which stack so beautifully, and some of the larger size rectangles as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 3-cup rectangles - or "bricks" in my freezer terminology - have been my favorites for many years now, but lately I'm having trouble opening the lids. I'm starting to look around for a possible arthritis-friendly design. I'd also like more of the old Pyrex containers with glass lids. I have a few which are in constant use in the fridge, but I don't think they are being made any more.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.