I haven't planted summer squash for ages, but with a new garden spot added this year, there was room for a couple of plants. This is the very first squash, harvested yesterday. Isn't it beautiful?
Do any of you gardeners have trouble actually picking and eating your perfect, beautiful vegetables?
Asking for a friend.

A beautiful photo of a beautiful squash! I used to have that difficulty, but now I let my thankfulness to the plant overflow, and harvest away.
ReplyDeleteChris from Boise
Not even a twinge? I always express gratitude but even after all these years I still get a little twinge.
DeleteI grow a few containers of flowers to cut and still pause! That's a beautiful squash. Will you draw it?
ReplyDeleteI've gotten more comfortable with bringing flowers in, as long as there are plenty left outside. And now that I think about it, that may be why I have no trouble harvesting beans even though they are also beautiful. And yes, on the drawing ;)
DeleteBeautiful perfect veggies will go bad if not eaten! Plus they may be as delicious as they look. Go for it!
ReplyDeleteVery good points! It took me THREE DAYS of saying "I should pick that squash before something bad happens to it" but I finally stopped gambling with bugs and raccoons and who knows what else is out there - and brought it in.
DeleteYes, I kinda hate to pick the first ones! I pick my squash much smaller these days, to use it up more quickly. Otherwise we are soon overrun!
ReplyDeleteWhen I could get to the weekly farmers market on our town common I used to buy small yellow squash - so tasty!
DeleteI get it - it's hard to cut into a perfect specimen of goodness but you'll be glad when you do. It's like that beautiful piece of fabric or ball of yarn that is so hard to use because don't you just KNOW that a better project is out there than the one you're contemplating.
ReplyDeleteI've got a couple of 1-yd pieces of Liberty Tana Lawn that I should probably add to my Will.
Delete