| Vincent 1885 |
We're having unpleasant weather here in north-central Massachusetts. Sweating begins the moment you step out the door. All the goats are spending most of their time being still.
The heat is uncomfortable but with the added humidity it is stultifying. Livestock and gardening chores are best finished early, because even the morning air feels like breathing through a warm, wet flannel. The cats and I are usually outside by 5:30 or 6, and any tasks not finished before ten will probably have to wait til evening.
Moxie and Della usually make their own schedules, although the bear has curtailed evening activity and the cats now miss the prime mouse-hunting hours of dusk to bedtime. But they are still out and in a few times throughout the day, as am I. Usually. Yesterday afternoon when the temperature was 93 in the shade, we had a debate about whether cats should sometimes be required to stay indoors where at least one room is cooler and breathable, thanks to the combined efforts of a floor fan, a dehumidifier, an air cleaner, and intermittent air conditioning. Despite all this relative comfort, Moxie and Della both wanted to be out. I won the debate, but only because they can't reach the doorknob.
I hope wherever you are the temperature is comfortable and the air is clear.
~~~~~
It's been hot here too so we've been trying to stay inside as much as we can. Had to do a grocery pick up this morning and were both glad to get home. Keeping the curtains shut and the fans going seems to help. We do have a portable a/c unit in the living room which keeps that room comfortable. Don't overdo and remember to hydrate!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it a pleasure to walk back inside and feel a hit of coolness, even it it only lasts a couple of minutes? But in general, I don't think it would be possible to "under-do" more than I have been lately.
DeleteI've been thinking about you in this heatwave. It's been brutal.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Liz. Even though I use them only as feels necessary, I'd be in a sorry state without all the appliances.
DeleteI am tired of being inside. The humidity is awful! But maybe I could get this latest quilt done....
ReplyDeleteI was thinking today that with all the time I'm spending in the house it should be totally organized and immaculately clean by now ;)
DeleteWe haven't had a summer like this in several years and I can't say I've missed it. Haven't broken 100 yet, but the heat index is brutal. We don't have air conditioning, but we've got a lot of fans running! The cats prefer to be outside. Sometimes if there's a breeze it's cooler in the shade outdoors than in the house.
ReplyDeleteWith your rain, I hope the heat has broken a little!
ReplyDeleteChris from Boise
And what's this about a bear?!
DeleteI've had more trouble with one bear this year than with all previous bears combined.
Delete