Wednesday, March 20, 2024

drama week

I know it's only Wednesday, but it feels like a week of drama.

Not this. This is not drama. This is Azalea's response to my suggestion that we do a little preliminary combing to see if the cashmere she and daughter Hazel are carrying is ready for harvesting.

Nope. Azalea's still hanging on to her undercoat, for the most part. She did allow me to lift off some of the loose fluff accumulating around her head.


Hazel, Azalea's daughter, followed Mum's example.

Don't they look like two peas in a pod? 

I wish so much I could have bred Hazel, and continued to breed Azalea, because they have some qualities I really value. But when very young, they each had a problem with weakness at the base of their horns. Azalea's son Mallow had it too, so I had to conclude it was genetic, and even though they all seemed to outgrow it by adulthood, I didn't want to perpetuate the trait. Azalea did break one horn last summer, though not at the base, thank goodness. And it may not have been related to the original issue at all, but I mention it because...

this is not what one wishes to see when sweeping out the barn.


And this is the drama.

Betula broke a horn on Monday. It may have happened shortly before morning chores, because the trail of blood drops was very fresh, and when I got to Bet, he was missing about a third of his right horn and was very bloody indeed. (Don't worry - I won't include a picture.) As you may know, the end of a goat's horn is "dead." But horns feel warm right at the base because there is a blood supply persisting partway into the horn. In the past I underestimated how far beyond the warm-feeling part of the horn the blood supply persists. I'm pretty clear on it now, though.

Betula did not have any problems with horns as a youngster, but in the past few years he has worn down a section of the arch on both horns by rubbing them against the metal fences. I've been worried that there would be a injury one day, as a lot of head-banging and horn-smacking goes on out in the paddocks, and the challenges to authority amongst the goats never completely stop. Especially relevant to Betula, since he is the biggest goat in the herd.

Things were a bit worrisome all day and all night Monday, and there were extra barn visits throughout the day and a barn cam for non-intrusive night surveillance. Happily, by yesterday afternoon the slight residual bleeding had stopped and Bet was eating well.

Today I had to repeatedly point out that if Betula wanted me to put kelp in the mineral feeder (he did), he would have to step back and let me get to the feeder for five seconds. He remained firmly wedged between me and the feeder, and honestly I was so relieved that he was feeling bright enough to forget his manners, that I fed him kelp from my hand instead.


This barn cam snap was taken after I came back into the house following morning chores. Betula had already gone back to eating. You can see his chaffhaye bucket is clipped pretty high because on Monday I wanted to encourage him to keep his head up while eating. I don't think Gravity is our friend when we are bleeding.

Anyway, I had hoped to catch up on sleep last night but it didn't happen, and now I can't stop yawning at dusk so I'm going to head out for evening chores before I fall asleep.

Peaceful, ordinary, routine evening chores, I hope.

~~~~~

14 comments:

  1. Oh dear, yes, blood does suggest drama. I hope you get caught up on sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a good Goat Person.
    Get you rest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, losing a horn (or with my goats, scurs) can be rather alarming with all the blood. Sometimes we can manage to sprinkle it with 'blood stop' powder, but as you know, they don't want you anywhere near it. Betula sounds like a real character, though, and I'm glad he's recovering.

    I have to say that reading about your fiber harvesting nudges my wishing I had a fiber animal. Now that I'm back to weaving, I keep eyeing my spinning wheel as the next activity to reacquaint myself with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on up, Leigh - I'll point you toward a goat and let you "comb your own." :)

      Delete
  4. Goodness! I had no idea this could happen. Drama indeed! I hope you slept well, Quinn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm feeling just about normal today.

      Delete
  5. Ugh! Definitely not the kind of drama you want to be dealing with. Glad Betula is taking it in stride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot to be said for a quiet life.

      Delete
  6. Oh Betula (big sigh). Hope you (Quinn) have found a few extra hours of sleep somewhere by now. Thank goodness for barn cams and inconspicuous surveillance.

    I can see cashmere harvest just around the corner.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris - barn cams have been one of the very best equipment purchases I've ever made. Glad I started with very inexpensive ones, because they are more than adequate and I've never needed to upgrade - just replace occasionally.

      Delete
  7. awwww - poor Betula and poor you! Hope life has settled down again for both of you. My question (not knowing much about goats) - will his horn grow back again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect it will continue to grow, but not "grow back" in the sense of matching his remaining horn. And unlike Azalea's horn which broke more or less clean across, Betula's break is more complex, with what look like layers of horn broken at slightly different points over the curve of the horn. One of the outermost layers must have caught on something yesterday, because there was a little piece sticking up and - unfortunately - the bleeding started again :(

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.