Monday, January 8, 2024

snow

Well, it was a storm, alright.

I took these snaps yesterday morning, when we had about six inches of snow. We got over a foot before the snow stopped last night.


During morning chores yesterday, Violet and her daughter Sambucus were invited out of the paddock to hunt and gather between the barn and the house, while I was to-ing and fro-ing, to-ing and fro-ing.



They had a grand time!


The hemlock branches were weighed down by snow, and both goats meandered over to help themselves to branch tips.

Did you know that goats have no upper teeth in the front of their mouths? The way goats break off a mouthful of something is to grab it and then snap their heads up, with their front bottom teeth acting as a cutting edge.

Sambucus demonstrates the grab:


And, with snow-laden branches, the secondary result of the snap:

Want to see it again?

You're up, Violet!

The grab:


And the snap!


This is the face of a very happy goat:


~~~~~

14 comments:

  1. Awww, that's so cute. I imagine they aren't happy about it. Maybe wishing you shook the tree first. I think goats have a way of putting on that why didn't you face.
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting take, but no, trust me, they were both VERY happy! There had plenty of options for things to nibble, and could just as easily have stayed in the dry barn, eating their expensive chaffhaye. They were genuinely having a blast :)

      Delete
  2. Oh sorry, didn't mean to be anonymous. Such lovely pictures PLUS I learned something interesting about goats today. Thank you very much for the education and for letting me see two goats have a lovely morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, kayT - thank you for your lovely comment :)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad they're enjoying their snow and the handy food it pulled down for them to reach. I wonder if this is also goat humor, creating snowstorms for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would not surprise me - they can be rascals!

      Delete
  4. TIL about goat teeth. I had no idea. The action shots you got are terrific. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow showers for the goats! Never having had much exposure to goats I was unaware of their front teeth (or lack thereof).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the kind of information most people need, that's for sure ;)

      Delete
  6. Your goats are gorgeous in the snow. I'm surprised they don't mind it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's what our yard (sans goats) looks like! Well, sans hemlocks too, but our junipers are similarly weighted down. The ladies are enjoying their picnic! I hope conditions there are gradually improving (and not turning into solid ice!).

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you got some real snow!? Yay, since you want it! :) And now we have thick ice covered in a couple of inches of fresh powder, so all the cleats have been dusted off.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.