Friday, November 17, 2023

the good news is


The good news is: I don't have to worry about mice in the truck anymore!


The less-good news is: I no longer have a truck.

I took the 2004 Highlander in for an inspection sticker last month, expecting to hear that I'd need new wipers or a parking brake cable or some such, and hoping it wouldn't be anything very costly. Instead, the mechanic who does the inspections came back in about 3 minutes, handed me the keys, and said, "You can't drive that." Apparently there was major deterioration beneath the rear half of the truck, and it wasn't safe to drive at all, even the 4 miles to get home.

Perhaps suspecting that I had every intention of driving home, the mechanic disappeared into the back and the owner, who I've known for many years, came out, offered me a ride home, and said that if I left the truck with him for a few days he would find time to put it on the lift and see what could be done. He knows I go to great lengths to keep my vehicles running as long as possible. Whenever I have to shop for a vehicle - a process I consider about as enjoyable as choosing health insurance - I always book a pre-purchase inspection at this garage. There is no point in buying something this fellow doesn't want to maintain.

Well, when I picked up the phone a few days late, I heard, "Start shopping. The front end is as bad as the back, and even if I could find parts, which is unlikely, the work would be prohibitively expensive."

Welcome to Massachusetts, land of salted roads in Winter, and rust all year round.

My default reaction when something breaks beyond repair, is to first step back and consider whether I really need a replacement at all. How much do I really need it? Can I get by without it? Sometimes "doing without" seems like the better choice, sometimes not; when the dishwasher broke, I didn't last a week.

For the past few weeks I've been alternating between an unenthusiastic online search for a replacement vehicle, and pondering whether I can get by without owning a vehicle. It's not a simple question.

I bought the Highlander for Piper in 2017. Here we are at the pond, about to embark upon one of our sketching hikes. Good times.

 
~~~~~

10 comments:

  1. Sorry you are going throught the vehicle blues.
    Replace with used is going to be better. Taking a short break to absorb the new life is reasonalbe. I browse Cargurus, and check out local small used car dealers with good recommendations. They aren't always advertised or have a website Google captures on the first results page. Good luck with you hunt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't see how you can manage without a vehicle at all. But maybe you have another that isn't a truck. I think we can be glad you didn't find out the hard way that the truck was so unsafe. I buy vehicles, used, about every twenty years, so I'm familiar with the rarity of this situation. Also with the notion of whether the broken thing needs to be replaced at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised it's even worth considering getting by without owning a vehicle, but a lot of circumstances have changed in the past 6 years.

      Delete
  3. Oh no - that's certainly not the best news that you wanted to hear. I can't see being without a vehicle of some sort when you live in the country as you do. Just beware of buying anything privately because there's all sorts of scammers out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buying a vehicle has almost always been a risky, unpleasant experience for me. There have only been a couple of exceptions, which were still risky but at least not unpleasant. And trying to find a vehicle without a vehicle...ugh.

      Delete
  4. What a bummer. I'm like you -- I take the opportunity to rethink the situation. My little blue car fell apart in a similar manner. I could at least drive it although they recommended not to. Good luck with whatever comes next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garage owner gently suggested I consider replacing the truck after a(nother) expensive repair, about 2 years ago. So for 2 years I've been saying, "I don't know what I'd do if the truck was gone, because I certainly couldn't afford to replace it." And kept driving.

      Delete
  5. In Dracut, 2016 Jeep Compass just under #15,000.00.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of my range, but thanks for the thought :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.