Tuesday, July 18, 2023

a day and a half


That's how much time we had without rainfall.

You can imagine how much I tried to get done outdoors.


As soon as the sun came up yesterday, I started shifting goats in an elaborate series of dance moves - a pas de quinze? - that went on throughout the day: getting this goat through this gate while keeping that other goat back in the other paddock, until every goat had had the option of spending several hours with their little group of special (currently) pals, stretching their legs on solid ground, with dry footing and the sun on their backs.

Now.

They were less excited about it that you might think. Most of my adult goats aren't comfortable with change, but I thought this would be such a pleasant change that there might be high spirits and leaping about. Nope.


Also: Now.

But today, on the second not-raining morning, they were ready. As soon as I went into the paddocks they started leading me back down to the Upper West Side, which is a small slope (of course) that's got it all: sunny, shady, rocky, sandy, grassy, and dry. Since I knew rain was forecast for late morning, I got almost all of them down there in two groups, early enough to enjoy themselves. Which they did.

The rain held off til after 1, which was nice because I had time to shift goats back to their usual locations without racing around. And after two hours of working in the mucky paddocks with my Occasional Helper - who hasn't been here for a while and may have been quite sorry he came back today - I even had time for a shower and lunch before the thunder started rolling.

And then I cancelled everything planned for the rest of the day.


Could be any time, really.

~~~~~


7 comments:

  1. Yay for getting anything done! I weeded one everything that had grown right next to the house and dumped a whole wheelbarrow full of green stuff before it started to rain again. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some places are certainly getting much more rain than they'd like. As long as everyone is okay and finding ways to cope then all is good ... and green. Just plain hot here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have been wonderful, that day and a half. We'd be happy to take some of your rain, if you could just push it this way across the Great Plains and the Rockies, against the prevailing winds.

    Lovely monarda. Ours are in full bloom, and the bumblebees are enthralled.

    Do I detect that you have quinze goats now?!?!

    Our most recent herding accomplishment: convincing the three new pullets to go up to roost with the four Old Ladies. A pas du sept? Three nights so far and no bloodshed - success!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much of the eye-height beebalm has now been flattened, but there's still a lot of hummingbird and bee action around the survivors. Waiting on the anise hyssop to bloom now.
      That's great about the hens! I've had poor luck in combining age groups, so next time I'll come to you for advice! Oh, and I have quatorze goats, but count myself as a very active participant in the gatekeeper dance :)

      Delete
  4. Wish there could be an on and off button for rain - guess only Mother Nature and God have that ability. I'm sure the fire fighters dealing with the forest fires that are so rampant this year would love to see some of your rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you're getting both in succession in parts of CA right now? I don't know if the rain is helping with fires though. There was a big fire in my town in the 50's that was only stopped when it hit a swamp.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.