Sunday, February 19, 2023

more light

In Autumn 2021, I was once again pondering buying a small greenhouse - KB, are you here? You gave me some very helpful guidance based on your two greenhouses, thank you again. The greenhouse decision rolls around every Autumn. But in 2021, after many weeks of research and pencil-chewing, I came up with sufficient justification and a budget for a kit. For about 24 hours I was SO excited about finally deciding to invest in a greenhouse - a dream for over 30 years!

Then I took a hard look at my current ability to assemble a greenhouse. This put a stop to my gallop. I started wondering who I could hire to do it for me, and what it could cost. It's not a simple task. And it takes multiple people. Site preparation possibly requiring a digger? Oh my. Then, the (all too familiar) question came up: where on my forested property would a greenhouse have enough light?

Overnight it occurred to me to build the goats an extension on the barn instead. (I know. You might not want to go shopping with me.)

West side, framing underway.

I sketched up the design but it was built by Actual Professionals, which is why things look so neat and level and square. The whole construction process was remarkably quick. Usually I don't enjoy standing idly by watching other people work, but this time I just stayed out of the way and took a few snaps every day.

My idea was, that with another 20x8' shelter that can be divided - in minutes! - into two, three, or four little open stalls, more goats could happily share the barn area without intimidation or fisticuffs. I'm pretty pleased with the design. It's a pleasant, flexible, run-in shed. I call it the Peace Pavilion.


the southwest corner

It's been about as successful as all my previous peacekeeping missions in Goat World: i.e., improvement, not perfection. But it's also a very bright and airy place for hoof trimming and cashmere combing! Here, Fern prepares to demonstrate in April 2022:


And although it's not a greenhouse - remember the greenhouse? - the roof is clear corrugated panels, so there is plenty of light, at least until leaf-out. There are also big corrugated windows on the east and west walls, and the south side is completely open. So I told the goats right from the get-go that the southwest "stall" might be seasonally commandeered for use as a seed-starting area. Last Spring I was too busy with extended cashmere harvesting to close off that corner for starting seeds, but this year it could happen.

Fern says, "Really? You're expecting
an easier cashmere harvest this year?"

Hmmm. You have a point, Fernie. Well, we'll see.


By the way, one last comment about light.

Here's what I did with the floss from the milkweed seeds:


And here's why:

magic lantern!
~~~~~




14 comments:

  1. I remember your musing about a greenhouse over the years. I guess converting the dream into extra housing for the goats is more realistic though. But I also think of a greenhouse. In my case I lack space and sunlight as well as funds. So that keeps the dream in bounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem to do well with your garden space, Liz. Has the fence situation been finally resolved?

      Delete
  2. The Peace Pavilion. I love that! And what terrific natural light. I'm hoping that seed-starting area is goat-proof! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the part I didn't have time for last year, but I have big plans for goat-proofing that stall this year :)

      Delete
  3. The Peace Pavilion looks great! And to have a place to start seeds is a double win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! And I am sure much needed. Have you considered the mini greenhouses like I use? They are inexpensive, and one of mine has lasted for 4 years now. For $30, that's not too bad...and I will use it again this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, thanks! I had a walk-in version a few years ago and loved it, but haven't thought about a little one.

      Delete
  5. Those clear corrugated panels are a wonder. We use them to winterize the chicken coop, and they roofed the catio for the many years we had a cat. The brightness of the Peace Palace will lift at least your spirits. Do borrow a bit of it for your seed starting; the goats don't need it all.

    Chris from Boise

    PS That magic lantern is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those panels are so useful! Expensive, but useful! I've got a couple of offcut pieces that will probably be part of this year's gardening efforts :)

      Delete
  6. Peace Pavilion - an ideal name! I think you've come up with a perfect alternative to a greenhouse with something that's multi-functional. Proves that if you contemplate something long enough a good solution will appear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you think. This is why I spend so much of my time not getting things done...I am busy contemplating! :)

      Delete
  7. For some reason, my comment on the milkweed post a bit ago seems to have disappeared. Point being: it should be fine to plant the milkweed seeds directly out, if you don't want to plant in pots and transplant out. Here's some technical info:
    https://npn.rngr.net/renderNPNProtocolDetails?selectedProtocolIds=asclepiadaceae-asclepias-3487

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Chris! I think I may plant the swamp milkweed directly, since that little drainage thaws early. And if I have time I will try both methods with the common milkweed. I'm glad you mentioned your earlier comment - I went behind the blog and looked for it, and found it, and republished it. No idea what happened, but hopefully fixed :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.