Wednesday, November 9, 2022

autumn



In the recent days of lovely weather, I've spent most of each day outdoors. Not just doing chores; also reading and eating and making notes about tasks that need doing before snowfall and ideas for next year's gardens. Moxie and I have often shared the chaise for a bit of knitting. Instead of knitting or reading or planning I could certainly have gone back into the house to continue my Autumn 2022 project of making the entire house more functional. It's a very slow process, working only an hour at a time, or two hours on a good day. I'm starting to see progress, and definitely don't want to lose momentum! But the clear air and blue sky and beautiful views have been too precious to waste. Especially as the daylight hours grow noticeably shorter.


Last night the temperate went down to at least 26F - that's where it was when I checked at about 2 AM. It had already dipped below freezing more than once recently, but this morning it was still below freezing during morning chores. Still...the sun came up and the sky was clear, and after chores I dragged a chaise into a sunny spot to enjoy breakfast.



When the sun was obscured by a conifer or the trunk of a hardwood, I felt cold and shifted the chaise to a sunny spot. The shade followed. It would only last a few minutes, but the difference between sunlit warmth and shade was an immediate chill. After some thought I did the sensible thing and went back into the house to put on wool socks and fetch my knitting.

By the time the chaise had been moved four times, I felt cold even in the sun. And when yesterday's knitting revealed a mysterious error in the very first section of stitches, an error that would require going back into the house for another set of needles, I surrendered, apologized to Moxie who had just gotten settled again, and went inside. Checked the forecast and lit the first fire in the woodstove.

It won't surprise me if the weather turns warm again, but tonight we'll have a fire.

~~~~~

11 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this post Quinn! Amazing how much warmth we can feel from the sun even on a cold day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look comfy with Moxie. It was nice today (but I didn't get a chance to get out). Sitting by the fire sounds nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moxie makes it difficult to get up, but I do not complain.

      Delete
  3. So Quinn, I got kind of side tracked reading your posts here this morning, a very mild one for this time of year in my neck of the woods. Enjoyed my visit very much. Love the word cashmere. You take care now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jocelyn - thank you for your comment! Please come back again - I use the word "cashmere" quite often ;)

      Delete
  4. I do so envy you being able to have a fire. Unfortunately such things are frowned upon when you live in an apartment but it doesn't stop me from wishful thinking.
    We've only dipped into freezing temps a couple of times so far but we know it's coming. Weather person was predicting a drop over the next few days and perhaps even some of that dreaded white stuff in the form of flurries. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, having a fire comes with a lot of peripheral fun like emptying ash and toting wood every day and loading the stove at 3AM, so you may be better off than me ;)

      Delete
  5. God priorities you have there. House functionality projects will still be there when the outdoors is less appealing.

    Sun warmth and air warmth are two entirely different entities, aren't they?!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be "good priorities...

      Chris from Boise (on our other computer)

      Delete
    2. Yes, very different! I think wind plays a bigger role in ambient warmth than many people may realize, at least until they work outdoors through all sorts of winter weather.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.