Saturday, October 29, 2022

patience

 

One thing I am learning about watercolor, is that sometimes I must Let It Dry before doing more with it. This does not come naturally to me. But I am trying.

Here's a watercolor sketch based on one of Harry Burton's black and white images documenting Howard Carter's excavation of Tutankhamun's tomb, exactly one hundred years ago:


I did this a couple of nights ago and wanted to continue with it but if I had carried on right away, it would have turned into a muddy, scrubby mess. So, like a grown-up, like a grown-up who has made a great many muddy, scrubby messes, I put it aside to Let It Dry.

The following night, I moved on to Phase Two:


Maybe the trick is to have two sketches going on at the same time so there is always something immediate to work on? I don't know. But Magpie's recent comment about painting made me think about Daily Markmaking. For a photographer, I sure am having fun with markmaking.

~~~~~

15 comments:

  1. Perhaps a hair dryer could be your friend when it comes to speeding up drying time?
    As for muddy scrubby messes - that's me, to a 't'!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting idea, thanks! I've got a blowdryer in a drawer somewhere - might as well give it a job to do now and then.

      Delete
  2. I've taken art lessons in the past, but confess I never could get the hang of water color. I guess I didn't have the patience to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'd have the patience for lessons, either. Especially since my joints won't let me sit in a chair or stand still for more than a couple of minutes at a time. The last class I tried to take was for braiding rugs, and within the first hour I had to admit it was too painful to continue. Ironic that I now have the time in my life for all the classes I wanted to take "someday." Oh well, fortunately for me, lots of things - like markmaking - can be done in a "zero-gravity" chaise! :)

      Delete
  3. I used to have a hair dryer in the studio for watercolor purposes. Never used for hair. It was good for moving paint around where a brush was too much, as well as drying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I would love to try painting! I expect though that one needs to learn to draw first. I am intrigued by the subtle changes to your painting. Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue - it's really exciting when something comes out the way I hoped it would - on purpose! But I am living proof that one does not need to be good at drawing in order to have fun painting.

      Delete
  5. This is fascinating. Watercolor is way intimidating to me; it'll be fun to watch along as you play with it.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you say that, because I've always felt intimidated by watercolor, too! Glad I jumped in and started playing with it - watercolor is actually flexible full of surprises!

      Delete
  6. A beautiful example of your patience paying off! Aren't you glad you waited! I, too, lack patience and often pop into the bathroom with a painting and dry it with the blow dryer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I never thought of that solution, especially since the comments indicate it seems to be standard procedure!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.