Friday, October 28, 2022

harvest




Working my way through a laundry basket full of green tomatoes from the terrace garden. Haven't found my recipe for the wonderful green tomato chutney I made in Colorado many years ago, which is unfortunate since a kettle of chutney would have used up half that basket and left my entire house smelling delicious. Instead there have been baking sheets of halved tomatoes, lightly coated in olive oil and slow-roasted in the oven. Also a salad of sliced green tomatoes and sliced strawberries, drizzled with bleu cheese dressing. And just a few whole tomatoes frozen, because here's something I learned today: green tomatoes do not slip their skins the way ripe ones do after a minute in boiling water.

Suggestions welcome! There are probably two dozen tomatoes still waiting, and yesterday Della pointed out a few more in the garden bed between the barns...



...but I'm hoping they will be safe there until I see the bottom of that laundry basket.



~~~~~

6 comments:

  1. I make green tomato mincemeat, which might be a bit like your chutney. Grind up tomatoes, raisins, zest orange, walnuts, add the juice, maybe cider, brown sugar or honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, bit of clove, cider vinegar...can't remember what else but the recipe is on my blog. We love it but mincemeat is not a taste everyone likes. Mine has no meat in it at all, which is our preference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue - that sounds delicious! I've never had homemade mincemeat but used to occasionally buy a big jar and use it as the fruit ingredient of fruitcake :)

      Delete
  2. If you check out my post ( https://magpiesmumblings.blogspot.com/2022/10/two-more-done.html I shared a recipe for the green tomato relish we made. There's also a disclaimer attached after someone told me that supposedly green tomatoes are poisonous. I did some research and apparently 'some' people have a sensitivity to them (much like having an allergy to seafood). We've eaten them for years with no problems, but thought I should put the warning on the recipe to be on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip - I'll check out your recipe! You've reminded me: historically, I think tomatoes in general were considered poisonous, and lots of people have trouble with all the nightshades, so I suppose it's to be expected that some people would also have trouble with green tomatoes. So far, so good, for me!

      Delete
  3. You had a much better haul than I did. But I have no idea what to do with that many green tomatoes. Tomato pie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, I thought there were about a dozen tomatoes on those plants! Once I started pulling back branches, I was astonished. Had to drive my truck down to the garden gate to transport the basket.
      I did think about making a pie, but the slight problem there is that if I make a pie, I will eat a pie ;)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.