Thursday, May 21, 2020

thankful thursday


The tulips are planted in a small perennial bed by the barn paddock, where I pass them multiple times every day and very often stop to admire them. I've posted several photographs and sketches of the first tulips of the year.

You may recognize this one. It was the very first:



The first few tulips provided joy day after day after day, surviving very cold nights and even a snowstorm. The colors have surprised me by changing over time -
some becoming lighter, others deeper.


After the first week or so, I often considered putting them in a vase.

Three had reached the stage of being more open than closed in the evening,
when we got the multiple-storm and tornado warning.


 Thinking that strong winds would shred these very-open tulips, I finally cut the stems and put the flowers in a vase on the porch, where I could enjoy them. Considering that every paddock and garden is currently scattered with branches that came down in that storm, it was a good decision.

For several days, the tulips opened more and more.
Don't you love the way tulips stay beautiful even as they become fully "blown"?
They simply begin to look like a different flower, one with wide open petals.


But yesterday I turned the vase slightly,
and instantly most of the petals fell into my hand.



Imagine how fragile the connection must have become.



Still...


...beautiful.


~~~~~

16 comments:

  1. Flowers from bulbs have a special elegance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting - I'll have to ponder this :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, so fragile. Like all of life really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are massive petals. Tulips are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by the size of the fallen petals. When the flower was in a typical tulip shape, it didn't seem unusually large.

      Delete
  4. Love these photos of the stages. I don't grow tulips, but I buy them! And I've been painting them lately. Will send one on Twitter DM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean - your painting reminded me of my own avatar, which was a tulip of 2008, if I remember correctly.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I planted bags of the bulbs, and was so happy to see a few appear this year! My survival rate may be low, but the reward is rich nevertheless :)

      Delete
  6. Nature is beautiful in all its stages and gives us many lessons. Threads of life and systems may sometimes weaken which is why we need connection and community for support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tulips and daffodils always are so welcome and rather surprising that they can withstand all the weirdness that Mother Nature throws their way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, SOME do :) All plants - except the wretched invasives - have a challenging time at my place.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.