Monday, March 16, 2020

from the inside


 

I very rarely link to a single blog post and encourage readers to visit, but these are troubled times and I think many people will find something useful in the very down-to-earth "Inside - A Guide" written by "a frequently overwhelmed, happy soul," Josie George. This is not about the corinavirus/COVID-19 pandemic per se; it is about the experience of "staying inside" by choice or necessity.



Personally, I agree 100% with this:

"Over the next few weeks, many of us will need to stay inside our homes. Either we’ll be self-isolating due to risk or symptoms or, more positively I hope, simply staying in as much as possible while healthy to help protect ourselves and others, slowing transmission rates. Not everyone will be able to isolate themselves voluntarily, but I hope those who can, will, for the sake of everybody. Every time you can choose not to go to a group or crowded place right now, you ease the risk on those people who have no choice or who are working to keep the rest of us safe and fed."


And this:

"The best thing is that I believe these ideas to be life-enhancing irrespective of what is happening in the outside world. Who knows, maybe by incorporating some of them into your daily life now, they’ll enrich your life and the lives of others for much longer than the next, uncertain few weeks."

Dear Comptonia readers: if you find even one useful idea in this well-written piece, it will have been worth reading. And I think you may find more than just one.


~~~~~

12 comments:

  1. Thank you. This is an important post, and she's so helpful. I've signed up with her. I'm really grateful to you for showing me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Liz - I felt the same when a twitter pal directed my attention to the post.

      Delete
  2. Lovely paintings
    I think more folks will be reading online in the months of shut downs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people seem terribly anxious in a sort of generalized way, with nowhere to go but down. Hopefully a piece like this one will throw them a line. Practical guidance from someone who writes from experience.

      And thanks very much for the compliment - three more Daily Markmakings from March :)

      Delete
  3. Hard to tell if I'm under anxious or over anxious. I heard some alarming stuff this morning (locally), but there's such a flood of information (and misinformation) it's difficult to know what to latch onto. I'm grateful we're mostly homebodies here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the information issue, especially infuriating when "world leaders" are actively MIS-informing the public. At this point, I pay no attention whatsoever to "government sources" in the UK or the US.
      I do feel confidence in the World Health Organization, and also - very locally - Ariadne Labs Executive Director Asaf Bitton. "This Is Not A Snowday" is very clear on the what and why of social distancing. Well worth a google, IMO.

      Delete
  4. Wow. Thank you Quinn. As an introvert, I'm expecting to enjoy a few weeks of quiet (as much as possible, considering the very difficult times so many people are facing), and this post you shared gives me many ideas to share with others and try myself.

    Boud had a great suggestion a few days ago as well: for those of us who can afford to, make a donation to our local food bank (or non-profit community medical clinic if you have one) to help those who are struggling even more. And I'm sure we've all thought of running errands or cooking a meal for those most vulnerable.

    Lovely "marks" as well!

    Cheers,
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fear my cooking a meal for someone would be more of a punishment than a kindness, but I take your point, Chris ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your posts, words and art alike, are food for the soul. :-)

      Delete
    2. What a lovely thing to say - thank you, Chris. Literally tears in my eyes right now.

      Delete
  6. We can do this - although, if the past two or three days are any indication, I'm failing miserably at it. I have been out every day due to circumstances beyond my control and tomorrow will be the same. I keep proclaiming an end to being out in the world and then something happens to change my plan. Tomorrow is a have-to-go to the drugstore for prescriptions for DH and while I'm there I will pick up an extra bottle of our vitamins and hopefully (fingers crossed) the drug store will be off my list for quite some time. Stay safe Quinn!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.