Sunday, January 26, 2020

three quick questions

This is a blog housekeeping post, and I'd really appreciate your help. I'll add a few unrelated images, just for entertainment value.

Two people have told me in recent weeks that they have left a comment on the blog but that it didn't appear. I've checked the spam filter, but the comments were not there. I checked my settings, and there shouldn't be anything preventing anyone from leaving a comment. The only thing I can think of, is if I was editing a post and republishing it at the same moment someone was trying to leave a comment, which I suppose is possible but not very likely. Not sure what else I can do, but I at least want to ask: has anyone else had a problem posting a comment here? If so, and if you can't leave a comment on this post either, could you please take a moment to email me and let me know? And if any other bloggers have had this happen on their own blogs, how did you fix it? It's very alienating to have one's comments "rejected" on a blog, and I don't want that to happen to anyone on Comptonia. I love our conversations. No blog is an island!


Second question: I use an ad blocker on my laptop, so I avoid seeing a lot of ads but recently Feedly - the reader where I see updates of all the blogs I follow on a single page - has begun throwing an ad into the posting list of every blog. It is disconcerting, to say the least, since the format of the ad is exactly the same as that of a blog post. It is not as annoying as pop-up windows on blogs, but it's unpleasant, and it may be time for a change. Can anyone recommend a simple reader they use to track all the blogs they follow?


Oh, one more question, speaking of ads and pop-up windows. I recently read a comment on another person's blog which complained - rather rudely, I thought - about the kind of advertisements appearing on that blog. It occurs to me that some of us may have ads showing up on our blogs that we didn't put there and - in my case, with the ad-blocking app - don't even know are there. Could someone tell me if you ever see ads or pop-up windows on Comptonia? I find pop-up windows very irritating, as they generally obscure what I'm trying to read, and they often "invite" me, over and over again, to subscribe to a blog I already follow. If there's anything like this on Comptonia, I did not put it there, and if I can't get rid of it I'll have to look into changing platforms.


Thanks for your help! I want to keep Comptonia a welcoming and pleasant place. Anything else would be...

 bananas!
~~~~~

22 comments:

  1. The good news: none of this as far as I know, happens to me. The less good news: it has happened more than once when I try to post to MDK. Comment doesn't appear, I try to repost, get error message saying now you're duplicating! Sounds like a similar glitch. Not your problem, but may happen more than you know.

    I've had people angrily tell me to stop trying to sell their email service, when a line is tagged to my email after I hit send. People not very techie don't realize this can happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I've been told is that a person writes a comment, clicks "publish," and the comment disappears.

      Delete
  2. I use an ad blocker as well, but have never seen ads or pop-ups on your blog. Google has one thing right with adsense, making advertising an opt-in to earn a little cash.

    Nor have I had trouble commenting on your blog. Sometimes folks have trouble with embedded comments; I had to disable them on my blog because they wouldn't let even me comment on my own blog!

    I agree about those subscription begging pop-ups. They pop up before one has a chance to determine if the blog is worth subscribing to, and continue even if you do subscribe. Extremely annoying. I no longer include these blogs or websites on any of my link lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should try not embedding comments, although I much prefer to have them embedded. I'll put that on the list of "things to try if nothing else works" - thanks, Leigh!

      Delete
  3. 1. Never have had a problem with leaving a comment on your blog that I know of. 2. I use 'Inoreader' - free, and at least so far, no ads popping up. 3. I've never seen any ads popping up on your blog and will certainly let you know if I do. I really don't know why the internet can't leave well enough alone and leave us to our fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for weighing in - I agree, it would be nice if things that "ain't broke" don't get "fixed"!

      Delete
  4. No comment posting might be the phone they might be using. My Samsung phone doesn't put comments through. It says being published, but nothing shoes up. I don't know why.

    I know zero about notices other than gmail.

    No popups seen here by me.

    I have read blogs where ads are placed in the text between the blogger's paragraphs. It is awkward to read the blog. Not a good ad practice. I'd move my blog if that ever happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's interesting about the phone - thanks! One more thing to look into.

      Delete
  5. No problem with my comments.
    I use Feedly too and got ads for a little while (just one or two) but currently am not getting any. I do use an ad blocker but for a little while they were getting through; now apparently they aren't. I hope I don't have to change; I really like Feedly. Do you use the pay version? I do not.
    I have not seen ads on your site since I have the blocker but will turn it off and see if there are any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the free version of Feedly, but this "sponsored" ad thing only started recently. I looked at the paid option last night, and sure enough, it provides the option of not seeing "sponsored" ads. Grrrrr. I don't need any of the other "features" of the paid version, and I don't want to pay $6/month not to see the ads!

      Delete
  6. This is strange. I see my ad blocker says one ad blocked. Turned off ad blocker, and see no ads. So maybe you have one ad? but I can't see it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is odd! You couldn't see anything missing when the blocker was on? It would be like one of those "what's different in these pictures?" puzzles. Thanks very much for your help, kayT :)

      Delete
  7. I have not had trouble leaving comments although I don't always check that they showed up. Also, I use feedly, and I haven't seen ads. Hmm, perhaps that's coming... Lastly, I have never seen an ad on your blog.

    I love your art so much. That first one is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ads in the lists just started recently, but now there seems to be one in every list. Maybe I'll take a screenshot and post it.
      Thank you for your encouraging words about my artwork - I'm so glad I started the daily markmaking thing :)

      Delete
  8. 1. I have had the occasional complaint comments not getting posted. I also have a chronic issue of some people commenting that I never get an email alert. If that's what's happening, that is a problem with blogger, and not with your filters (I suspect it has to do with their email address).

    2. I use feedly, use add blockers, not seeing what you're seeing. What addblocker do you use?

    3. See no ads on your site -- but adblocker....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if there is a way to whitelist the email addresses that are being blocked? Bit strange since I don't have a blacklist, as far as I know, but I'd be happy to whitelist people if possible.
      I use Adblock Plus. I'm going to post a screenshot of the Feedly page so people can see what I'm trying to describe.
      Thanks for adding your info, Sally! I'm gathering clues and, like Hercule Poirot, using my Little Grey Cells. So obviously I need all the help I can get ;)

      Delete
  9. Just got done reading your Blog from 2013 til now! Really enjoyed it. Your one brave person doing what your doing with all your physical problems. I just love your animals and your photography is wonderful. Love seeing your knitting, because I'm a knitter too! Take care! waiting to see the Hap !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Lynne, and thank you for leaving your lovely comment and compliments! The hap is coming along - I'll be posting an update this week :)

      Delete
  10. Lovely paintings! That vase - like a haiku.

    1) All my comments post correctly.
    2) Luddite that I am, I never knew about blog readers. A whole new world to explore (not!).
    3) Ad-blocker enabled here, and I don't see any ads on your site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enchanted by your comment on the painting. Thank you, Chris!
      And thanks for participating in my clue-gathering mission :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.