Sunday, March 3, 2019

sunny sunday

In recent weeks, there have been woodpeckers visiting my suet feeder every day,
even while snow is falling.
Downy woodpeckers and hairy woodpeckers.
Unlike some birds, they never seem to squabble, but nicely take turns.
Males and females of both varieties visit.
I wonder if there will be nests nearby, and perhaps baby birds this year?



This morning, there was also a rare visit from four mourning doves.
They searched the snow under the seed feeder, but I don't know if they found much before flying high into a tree.


I would have liked to toss sunflower seed onto the ground for them, but opening a window would have scared them away, possibly for a long time.


Even from forty feet away and high in a tree, this one seems to be keeping a close eye on me as I take pictures from inside the porch. 


I'll toss some seed on the snow after evening chores tonight, and hope it isn't all eaten up by mice before morning. Maybe the doves will be back tomorrow.

It is a gorgeous day. Not snowing - really, not snowing - and the sky is blue with fluffy clouds. Unlike recent days, the the temperature has slowly climbed above freezing and it's not windy. It's quite pleasant and a bit melty out there.

So why am I indoors in the middle of the day? you might ask.
It has a lot to do with the two cats currently anchoring my legs,
but it probably has even more to do with me feeling lazy and slow.
Of course I have a long list of things to do apart from daily chores, including many little things that weren't done because of all the recent snowy days. But instead of trying to get a lot done, I just feeling like staying put. At least for a little while.

I hope you are having a pleasant day wherever you are,
 whether you are full of energy and embracing the day with gusto,
or whether you are having a cozy recharge like me.
~~~~~

7 comments:

  1. The day is pleasant here as well, chilly but sunny.
    Watching the Cornell Bird Lab feeder this morning, it was quite busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched the owl cam this year...thanks for reminding me!

      Delete
  2. I love mourning doves. We had a pair nest in a porch hanging plant one year, and they were very nice about letting little neighbor kids climb up to see the babies.

    Have you noticed that the male downies eat first then sit waiting till the females are done? At least they do here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the mourning doves will settle down here, in time. And I don't know about the woodpeckers - I only ever see one at a time, and haven't noticed others waiting nearby. I'll pay more attention!

      Delete
  3. I found that bluebirds won't squabble at the suet feeder, either. Such a beautiful day. Hope you're all hunkered down for tomorrow (tonight)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I'll see bluebirds at the feeder this year! Last year I saw the very first one ever at my place, but it came only once as far as I know. If I had a meadow I'd put up nest boxes, but I don't have open ground apart from the garden, and Moxie would LOVE it if I installed bird boxes in the garden!

      Delete
  4. We have mourning doves every day - lots of them, and downy woodpeckers come every day too. I think there's only one pair, but it's hard to tell. They perch on the suet for the longest time and it almost looks like they've gone to sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.