Monday, December 10, 2018

monday meander

Piper and I went for a ramble in one of our favorite areas today. You've seen bits of it before, in photographs and various sketches - it's one of the places we visited repeatedly during our first outdoor drawing adventures.

And speaking of drawing, thank you very much for all the kind words about the iris watercolor. I'm so glad you liked it!


Today was crisply cold and very bright.
While Piper examined dozens of enticing aromas,
I took dozens of ice portraits.






I took a few photographs of stones that I usually see from a different perspective.
To give you an idea of scale, when I'm standing next to this one, the ferns growing atop it are at eye-level.




I also managed to sneak in a few snaps of Ms. Piper.



But mostly:

ICE










More clear, cold weather is predicted this week,
and I am looking forward to it!
How are things in your neck of the woods?
~~~~~

15 comments:

  1. I love the ice studies. It's such a varied medium, seems as if it can do anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I start to photograph ice, I think the same thought: "I could do this all day."

      Delete
  2. I just love Piper! And the ice photos are amazing! Mild weather here. Lots of flies and gnatty bugs all over the place after the rains. That fern topped stone doesn't look that big in the photo. Looks more like it would be knee level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I mentioned the size of the stone - I need to think more about conveying scale in my landscape photographs.
      Piper had a great time but got her feet wet crossing a stream, and since it was so cold out, I kept us moving briskly afterward. When we got home, I dunked each Piper-foot in a bucket of warm water for a few seconds then dried it - I called it "spa treatment" but Piper was disgusted!

      Delete
  3. Wow. These ice pictures are amazing. Great job of bringing a glimpse of winter to Texas for me. I'm glad to see this much ice in pictures only, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, kayT - glad you enjoyed the photographs :)

      Delete
  4. Neat photos, ice isn't easy to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Went for a brief hike on Sunday and loved the ice we found. You could see the water levels had been higher then dropped. Your photos are wonderful. There's just so many combinations - they're all so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to choose just a few to post - I took MANY :)

      Delete
  6. Your photos prove that ice can be beautiful - who knew? Nice that a walk is still doable and that snow isn't bogging you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very little snow on the ground at the moment - but frozen hard. I'm enjoying it!

      Delete
  7. Oh that ice! How very beautiful. I enjoyed these photos very much. Sounds like a nice ramble. It's cold cold cold here but supposed to warm up later in the week...and rain. So we'll have lots of mud :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cold here, too, and i'd rather have that than more rain! Good luck ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nature's ice sculptures are incredible! I'm glad that you and Piper had such a beautiful hike.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.