Thursday, December 13, 2018

better late

Thank you all so much for your birthday wishes! You will laugh when I tell you that I fell asleep after chores last night before eating any lemon meringue pie, but I had a slice for breakfast this morning. And this evening, I finally opened my presents.

Have I mentioned my approach to the "Black Friday"-type mayhem? It's got nothing to do with Christmas for me - indeed, it has nothing to do with Christmas in any way, period - but I use it as a practical way to plan ahead.

All year I keep a list of "needed/wanted, but can wait" items for the animals, myself, the house. Come November, I shop from that list during the sales, almost entirely online. It can mean a whacking great bill to pay in December, but considerably less than the same purchases would have cost if spread out over the year; things like a replacement router, a pair of prescription reading glasses, a humidifier for the porch, a nice cotton workshirt for next Spring, and a pair of insulated walking boots for winter Piper-rambles.


This year, I added a little fun by making some birthday "surprise gift" purchases as well. The first was from a small New Hampshire online yarn shop that imports yarns from the UK.

Look, it's a hat and two pairs of socks!
(Some assembly required.)



I also placed an order with Blick Art Supplies. I'll tell you what: a fifty-dollar "surprise gift" budget can buy a whole lot of fun when there's a sale going on and free shipping for a $45 order.

I say "surprise" because it seemed likely that between mid-November and mid-December, I would forget at least part of what I ordered. Every time I visit the Blick website, dozens of items catch my imagination. Ordering just a few things from that treasure trove and then putting it out of my mind meant that I genuinely forgot all but one item. When I opened the box from Blick this evening, it was as if this gift had truly dropped unexpected out of thin air.

I said, "Oooh!"

Out loud.

And then I laughed like a loon.


 I've been wanting a pocket sketchbook for a while now.
This is a very, very good one.
In fact, "It's just what I wanted!"
I'm pretty excited about it.

This waterbrush is a brand I haven't tried before.
Every year I buy one - maybe two - new ones, figuring out what works for me.
This one is labelled "1 mm" - quite tiny.

Then, in order to embrace the ongoing adventure that is watercolor,
I went to the other extreme:



Fun ahead :)
~~~~~

10 comments:

  1. Pie for breakfast. Terrific! I love when I've forgotten a purchase and it suddenly arrives. Woot! Lovely gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly beats forgetting a bill and then having that show up! ;)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like the most lovely of birth days! And the best sorts of gifts because you got just what you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! What a fun way to celebrate :) Enjoy your surprise gifts. I really love your approach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, KB! I haven't paid much attention to my own birthday in the recent past, but after the success of this experiment I think it will be different from now on :)

      Delete
  4. Pie for breakfast is perfect! Belated birthday wishes! Sounds like you enjoyed yourself. Getting exactly what you need is the best way to celebrate. That last brush is mighty big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's huge! I don't think I'll be using it with my little pocket sketchbook ;)

      Delete
  5. Happy Dick Blick order!
    I remember when they were in North Carolina hand picking orders size. Brings back memories. The wish list feature helps me remember what I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have most things that I look for, including a huge range of individual watercolor pencils. I like their prices - and the frequent deals on free shipping! Shipping charges kill a lot of potential purchases for me.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.