Friday, October 12, 2018

what a day


It did not rain today!




I had a list of errands to be done in town, and did ALL of them. 
AND a couple that were not even on the list!

When I got home in the afternoon it was such a glorious day I walked around with the herd for a little while. The goats are soooo tired of rain. It was great to see them enjoying the fresh air and sunshine.


Oh, and I rescued little Iris from another potentially fatal adventure - this was the third. The way she's going, I seriously fear that little goat will not make old bones. But I'll do my best to keep her alive because I like her a lot and I'm hoping she'll grow up to be LeShodu without the attitude. I had hoped the same thing about her mama, Vinca, when she was born, but regret to report Vinca has been cranking up the attitude quite a bit recently. Here's hoping Iris will stay sweeter than both her mama and her grandmama, and will enjoy a long and happy life.


Speaking of hope, I've planted a new little garden of Spring bulbs out by the barn.
28 hyacinths and 3 irises and 40 tulips.
Nothing says "hope" like planting, I think.
And perhaps especially, planting in the Autumn for the Spring.



And speaking of Spring, look what I found out in the Upper West Side paddock, almost hidden beneath mushrooms and tiny ground-cover greenery:


A single violet!

What a great day. I hope yours was, too!

~~~~~

8 comments:

  1. Zinnia! I agree with the goats - I am so tired of the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it came back today...glad I didn't waste a moment yesterday, when my energy level got a boost from the blue sky!

      Delete
  2. That first photo is lovely! Glad you got a little break from the rain. It's been very humid here the past few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh - you have my sympathy! We've had high 70's and over 80F with extremely high humidity lately as well - stultifying, especially at this time of year. And then cool and raining. It's hard to get things done, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad that it didn't rain, and you and the goats could be outside all day. I agree about autumn planting being the epitome of hope. I'll be doing my wildflower seed sowing soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I've been trying to save the seed from red bee balm as the magenta seems to be spreading more rapidly. Both together - amidst the anise hyssop and goldenrod - really complement each other :)

      Delete
  4. By the sounds of the weather you've had this year, it's good to get outside and enjoy the rare days of sunshine. Hope it isn't a sign of what's to come!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.