Tuesday, June 23, 2015

that's one done

There has been a lot of rain lately.
Big rain.
Deluge-type rain.

In between, there have been projects;
many with the assistance of my new helper.
For example, last week we moved a section of fenceline.

You can see where the original fenceline ran behind the barn:


I had the barn built in that spot last Spring,
planning to move the fence back toward the stone wall
in early Autumn.
But many other tasks came first,
and then my helper lost interest in working.

And then Winter came.



And it stayed a while.



And what you may not be able to see
is that even the packed-down snow 
is deep enough to "shorten" the fence significantly.


By February, that six-foot perimeter fence
only came up to my chest.
I could reach over the fence without raising my arm.
If my goats had wanted to get over that fence,
they could have done it.
Easily.
I thanked them every day for not doing so.

Dara:
Well, of course we would never go over the fence!
We are all Very Good Goats!


Violet:
I am shocked that you could even think
we would go over the fence!
No matter how easy it might be!


Campion:
Certainly we would NEVER...wait a minute...
HOW short did you say that fence is?

Hahaha! Just kidding!

~~~

So last week, my new helper and I spent several hours,
on two consecutive days, moving that fence.
Finally!

It adds just a tiny area to the paddocks -
maybe a thousand square feet or so -
so it was a lot of work for a little difference.

Was it worthwhile?


Well, yes.


Yes, it was.


If only for the pleasure of watching Tsuga
lead her little girls into fresh browse
before any of the other goats could have a crack at it.
That's a first!

Fern making a careful selection.


Tansy tackling a kid-sized portion of white pine.


And Mama Tsuga, happily destroying the bittersweet.
Bless you, Tsuga!
~~~

So, how are your projects coming along?
Does your list ever get any shorter?
~~~~~

15 comments:

  1. Even that extra bit of space for them must feel so good. It's like a whole new little world opened up to them. Congrats on getting it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammy - I really love expanding their little universe - you're right, that's exactly what it feels like :)

      Delete
  2. Although a lot of work for you, it looks like your girls are enjoying the tasty new young leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If nothing else, moving the fence to the wall on the slope gives you peace of mind with regards the girls hopping over :)

    Nope - tasks are never done...

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are just SO pretty! I love seeing them trotting along their little path in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful when a project gets completed. Your goats are adorable and I loved their comments. :-)

    Happy Summer ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's amazing how deep the snow was in your area last winter. Your goats must feel like they're on vacation with all the new space. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised it wasn't as deep up your way! So much variation in our little region.

      Delete
  7. I think your goats should start a fan club, I'd join. My goatkeeing friend's goats here in Wales just aren't as cute as your guys and gals.

    Well done on getting the fence shifted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your goats have such a sense of humor :)
    MY list never seems to get shorter, but if it's a household task and I hint to hubby "you know you could go pick strawberries with our daughter this, and then there's jam to be made"... bam! it's magically done (yep, I'm spoiled). I can't wait 'til our little one starts school; I'm gonna make up honey-do lists!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such well behaved goats, altho I do see that one is going against the flow and proceeding the wrong way on the snow trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's Violet, who led the parade and then STOPPED, turned, and blocked the chute. You've pinpointed the biggest reason NOT to have a narrow chute for goats to move through regularly; they rarely proceed in an orderly fashion. Someone nearly always takes the opportunity to try to assert authority by controlling the movement of the others, and bottlenecks involving impatient animals with horns = not an ideal situation. I will not miss that narrow chute!

      Delete
  10. Moving that fence definitely was worth it!!!! The goats look so happy.

    A mentor once told me that "you will never catch up". I took his words to heart so I never expect the list to get shorter :) Acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably a very sane attitude! I think I should ponder it for a while :)

      Delete
  11. Quinn, thanks for the chuckle, I do adore goats! I mowed the side pasture today...took a long time due to steepness. Then I jury rigged a tarp in the stable, it's covering the tractor to, hopefully, keep the blankity blank guineas from pooping all over the tractor.
    Projects finished...not ever. I simply reach a point and stop because there's never any finishing. Time has to be left to enjoy the day, doncha know?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.