Last year I tacked up a set of "instant screen door" panels in the little goat shed doorway, and felt they helped keep the deer flies out. So at the end of the season, I bought a couple more sets on sale, in anticipation of the day when the new little barn would be built.
Yesterday, I cut those panels into half-lengths and hung some in the upper doorway of the feed storage side of the barn and others in the lower doorway of the big communal stall. I left the center of the lower doorway temporarily unscreened, though, so the goats could get used to the curtains and I could see whether or not they would decide to tear them down.
Initially there was a lot of nosing and chewing and pawing at curtains,
but soon Lily and Azalea and Campion seemed quite relaxed:
while Tsuga appeared to be collecting data:
"Hypothesis: there are fewer insects on one side of the screen.
Methodology: I'll put just one ear and one foot outside and compare.
Twenty minutes later:
"Phase Two: I shall now extend just one hind foot."
I'm looking forward to Tsuga's analysis of her data.
I just hope I won't have to wait for her to publish;
those peer-reviewed goat research journals are notoriously slow.
(I was about to write "Probably the editors spend too much time browsing,"
but I realized it would have been an unintentional pun,
which is so much worse than an intentional pun!
Whew. Narrow escape, there.)
I actually got goosebumps as I typed "deerflies and horseflies."
The body remembers those bites!
So, not a perfect or total solution, but it is a definite improvement!
And that's what we shoot for here...improvement, not perfection.
"Ahem! Speak for yourself, please!
I'm not looking for progress or perfection...
I'm looking for results!
And ultimately, tenure!"
Oh, don't worry about tenure Tsuga. You've got it.