Sunday, July 26, 2015

vm

It's been a busy week in Goat World.

The vet came out Wednesday for the annual herd check and shots. One of the injections (in the thigh muscle) is quite unpleasant for the goats. Even placid Azalea tried to run right through me.

I couldn't help it. It HURT!
(I know, Azalea. I'm sorry.)

Some of the goats are still walking stiffly and LeShodu, the matriarch doe, was limping this morning. I'm keeping an eye on her, in case something other than the shot is causing a problem. Four days seems like a long time for an injection site to be causing increased discomfort. Meanwhile, I added a water bucket inside the barn, so LeShodu doesn't have to go up and down the long ramp just for a drink.

Thursday I pulled out all the 2.5-gallon storage bags of 2015 cashmere, and began choosing and preparing fiber to send off for a professional assessment. Actually it is a fleece competition with fiber judged by age groups and gender and so on, but I'm not expecting any prizes for this fiber. I'm just very interested in getting specific feedback from a very experienced judge of cashmere.

The rules require sending entire, raw, fleeces. No cleaning, dehairing or other treatment is permitted, except the requested removal of what fiber-folk call "VM." This is vegetable matter. Bits of hay, seeds, etc.

If you knit or crochet or weave, you may have noticed occasional tiny bits of plant material spun right into the yarn. It's not uncommon, even in commercial yarn. In very "rustic" yarns, some of which are quite expensive, there may be a lot of VM. Individual knitters have different thresholds for how much is acceptable. Personally, I don't like it. But I think for some people, finding a bit of hay spun into the yarn makes them feel more connected to the original source. Fortunately, in the wide, wide world of yarn, there is plenty of variation to keep us all entertained!

I chose five fleeces to submit. One was unbelievably clean:

(As always, left-click to embiggen.)

This was the total VM removed from the entire fleece:

The little areas that look out of focus? Cashmere fibers.

The other four fleeces got more attention. One I decided to go through quickly, removing only pieces of hay which I could easily grab and tease out of the clinging cashmere with my fingertips. The other three fleeces, I spent several hours on - carefully examining one cotton-candy handful at a time and removing every tiny bit of leaf or seed with finepoint tweezers. These fleeces weren't terribly full of VM; I just really got into the process - it was meditative.

from Azalea's very first combing

Also it was enjoyable to be handling the fiber again. During harvest season, the combing goes on and on (as long-time readers can attest), and there's a constant concern about the weather, the condition of each goat, and my ability to comb. By comparison, spending a couple of days prepping fleeces was downright fun!

I wasn't sure of the best way to mail five 2.5 gallon bags, so I put them all together in a huge plastic bag and carried them into the Post Office like Santa Claus. The funny thing was - and it was funny, even the helpful postwoman laughed! - this massive bag weighed 25 ounces. Yep. That's cashmere.

I regretfully smooshed the air out of the bags and got them all into a medium-sized shipping box. But the zip on each bag was left open just a tiny bit for air flow, and when the recipient opens the box tomorrow, those bags will all puff right up again. Not quite as much as Dick Van Dyke's famous package, but still...puffy.

Originally I had planned to attend this event, which includes a workshop on fiber assessment (much needed) and a lobster bake on the beach (much anticipated). I rented a room through AirBnB for a couple of nights so I could rest after the drive up and before the drive back - several hours each way. But my yearn to learn had sidestepped reality. I've had to reluctantly admit that I'm just not up to it physically.

So yesterday I cancelled my reservation. I won't get to see the fiber from other herds, and that is a loss. And I won't learn more about fiber assessment firsthand from a top-notch judge. Not this time. But I did manage to select and prep and submit five fleeces from my little gang, so I feel pretty good about that!

Besides...


Dara says:
You don't have to go anywhere to learn about cashmere.
I'm right here! What do you need to know?
~~~~~

24 comments:

  1. Sounds like the needle hit a spot it shouldn't have. (Had a flu shot like that, hurt for days.) I'd call the vet just in case. I feel funny typing that because you probably already have called.
    Wishing Better Health. This hot humid weather is draining.
    Soaking my arthritic feet on the deck yesterday, the water had the nerve to get warm! A cool bit of foot soaking can be refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very humid again today, but my list of neglected tasks is so long I am forcing myself to get in the car and head for the hardware store, the grocery store, and the "hay store." It's been in the back of my mind that one of these days I'm going to fill the giant water trough and have myself a good long soak...could be soon ;)

      Delete
  2. The VM is hectic in alpacas... :( Takes hours and hours and hours to remove. Perhaps I'm being to particular...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you can't make it to the event. But at least your fleeces will be represented! what's the difference between combing and a fleece? ignorant but keen readers need to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny you ask, because I have never, til now, used the word "fleece" in relation to cashmere goats! I always think in terms of "fiber" - with the raw fiber being what I harvest per year, per goat. But the organization running this event refers to it as a "cashmere fleece competition" and uses "fleece" to mean the harvested raw fiber per goat in 2015, so I'm going along with it though I don't think I'll adopt that terminology for general use.
      Also, the info card for each entry has to include whether it was combed or shorn - apparently some people do shear cashmere goats, but I don't know anyone who does. And I don't know how it plays into the judging, unless to account for the huge amount of guard hair I would expect to see in a bag of "shorn" fiber.

      Delete
  4. Forgot to say: I like to be free of VM, too, in my yarn, and in the fleece I processed for myself years ago to learn how, and to spin from, and am still using the proceeds! but then the other day I got out my fresh farm egg from the carton and there was a bit of straw on it, and that was great. A real hen laid this after fooling around in the yard, free range ones, that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can definitely understand how folks might like to experience a connected feeling to the living sources, whether through a bit of hay in their yarn or on an egg. I guess my own connection is so immediate and ongoing, I don't need the reminder! ;)
      I admit I was pretty flummoxed though, when someone raved about buying eggs at a farmers' market that had not only feathers and straw, but authentic chickenpoop on the shells. Gag. Me. I used to sell eggs, and still give some to friends, and I would be horrified to find I had accidentally sold or given a mucky egg!
      No, those are for Home Use Only.

      Delete
  5. I would love to be at the end of that shipment to see the recipient open the box, and POOF! :) Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well and can't make the trip. I hope your fiber gets lots of good feedback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, whoever is opening all these packages is probably going to enjoy those moments of reinflation! Thanks for your good wishes :)

      Delete
  6. What an interesting post! The image of you at the Post Office with your bags of fleece is quite amusing. I hope you are successful in the competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The judging is this coming Saturday, but I think I'll have to wait for my box o'fiber to be mailed back to me before I can see the judge's comments. Really looking forward to it!

      Delete
  7. Fascinating info about the whole process! I hope you're feeling better soon : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tipper! I'm glad you found it interesting. Let me know if you ever decide you need a couple of cashmere goats to round out your cast of characters. I've got just the ones for you, and they are experts at brush-clearing :)

      Delete
  8. Yes, Quinn, 4 days does sound like a long time...let us know. Let us know also about the fiber testing...I've had Pygora goats but, other than sheep/wool, have never had fiber tested.
    That small amount of VM is amazing...totally impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is feeling better now, thanks! I've never had this much of a reaction to the shots.

      Delete
  9. I really hope you're feeling better soon (along with Azalea too). I'm sorry that you aren't able to attend the show, but at least your cashmere will be represented. Enjoyed reading about the process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fleeces look fantastic and I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip. I hope they place well.

    What kind of annual shot do your goats get that requires an intramuscular injection? The only one recommended in my area is CD/T, which is given subq. I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leigh - I do annual CDT and rabies (separate shots) and this was the CDT. It can be given either subcutaneously or intramuscularly, and my vet prefers IM to avoid the lumps that often result from the subQ CDT. Have you found a way to give this shot without ever getting the lumps? Please let me know!

      Delete
    2. No I haven't, but I still give my CDT subq. One suggestion is to give them under the elbow, where they won't show as much. I'm not real keen on IM because I always seem to hit something painful. Goats just don't seem to have a lot of available muscle.

      Delete
    3. I used to give them myself, behind the elbow in a "tent" of skin. But those lumps really worry me -- can't imagine the vaccine is doing much good if it's encapsulated in one location, and also, I've had one result in a abscess that I nearly missed because I thought it was a "regular" CDT lump. It was very tough to clean out and clear up. So I decided maybe it was operator error, and since them I've had the vet do shots (I like to have an annual once-over of each goat anyway). She does them IM for this same reason, and in the fleshiest part of the rear thigh.
      I did email to ask if maybe this is a new vaccine manufacturer or if there is any other reason for the many long reactions this time around, but haven't yet heard back.

      Delete
    4. I would be interested in the answer to that myself, because this is the first year I've had a problem. It is worrisome and I'd like for it to go back to being easy and without the lumps.

      Delete
  11. I love Dara's quote! :D I'm sorry you were too pooped to go, it sounds like it would have been very informative and fun. Who doesn't love just smooshing fleece through their fingers? Nirvana!!! :D I agree about the cleaning of VM out of fleece, it is quite meditative and I have actually sat for days morning to night just flicking locks clean. I'm a lock person even when I wash my fleece I try to keep the locks all lined up in little packets that get washed in my top loading washer. I admit to being quite anal! LOL! Well, I hope that LeShodu is feeling completely better now? I just love your fleece, they all look so soft and fluffy... I'm still on the fence about getting a couple of those beautiful goats for myself... I will keep you posted of course! Do you ever sell off any of yours? Anyway...
    Hugs for now, enjoy the weekend, and please get some rest my friend,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Dara's quote! :D I'm sorry you were too pooped to go, it sounds like it would have been very informative and fun. Who doesn't love just smooshing fleece through their fingers? Nirvana!!! :D I agree about the cleaning of VM out of fleece, it is quite meditative and I have actually sat for days morning to night just flicking locks clean. I'm a lock person even when I wash my fleece I try to keep the locks all lined up in little packets that get washed in my top loading washer. I admit to being quite anal! LOL! Well, I hope that LeShodu is feeling completely better now? I just love your fleece, they all look so soft and fluffy... I'm still on the fence about getting a couple of those beautiful goats for myself... I will keep you posted of course! Do you ever sell off any of yours? Anyway...
    Hugs for now, enjoy the weekend, and please get some rest my friend,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.