Friday, December 22, 2023

minutes of light


Victoria Crowe Large Tree Group 1975

It was 11F when Moxie and I got up this morning. Brisk. Invigorating. Also, dark. I opened the door for Moxie, hoping the goats wouldn't hear the door opening and start thinking they would be served breakfast before dawn today. Generally on a cold, dry day I won't feed until the sun has appeared over the stone wall, dazzling through the still-dark tree trunks - at about 8:06 these days. My goats sleep very cozily tucked in, and there is no reason to make them all wake up, get up, and stand around for an hour in the dimness of predawn, shivering, in order to have their grub. But by the time the sun has appeared, everyone is ready to be up and at it. Violet is hollering, "I heard you open that door THREE HOURS AGO, where have you been?!" and I'm out by the barn, lining up feed pans.


Last night I dozed off early, but woke (for the first of several times, as usual) at 10:20 PM. I got up, fed the stove, and then realized:

I had woken for the Winter Solstice!

It occurred at 10:27 PM here.

Perhaps I has even been woken BY the Winter Solstice. Who knows?

Anyway, as a person who lives very much by the sun, it felt GOOD to know there will be more (and more and more) minutes of light in the days ahead.


I like the dark as much as the next person - in fact, I keep a chaise under the portico year-round so I can drag it out on clear nights and tilt back to look at the sky for a while. "A while" is usually determined not by how cold it is, but by how cold I get: I used to have a old sleeping bag on hand just for this purpose, and could stay outside indefinitely. (That sleeping bag seems to have disappeared; I may soon replace it.) In recent years, my spine does not "do" tilting my head back, so the chaise is the only way to go - and a very nice way it is, too. Sometimes if the cats happen to be outside, they will hop up and sky-watch with me. Which is perfect.

So, as I say, I like the dark. But it's a lot easier to get things done in daylight. And the sun, especially at this time of year, genuinely lifts my spirits. There's no better way to describe it.


I hope everyone is well and happy and joyfully anticipating whatever you do for the upcoming holidays, if you celebrate them in any way. And if this time of year is in any way sad or stressful for you, I hope you can find ways to help yourself feel more at ease. For what it's worth, I find even quite simple activities or treats or personal rituals can be very powerful.

Wishing everyone enough of whatever lifts your spirits.

~~~~~~

15 comments:

  1. Happy holidays to everyone chez Piper

    ReplyDelete
  2. We actually had a sunny day yesterday and it was most welcome. Supposed to rain tomorrow and off and on over Christmas so no white Christmas for us. Doesn't matter to Resident Chef and I because we have no plans to go anywhere. Actually looking forward to a few days of sloth.
    I wish you enough as well - you and the goats and kitties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and the same to you and RC! After today, we have a forecast of three days overcast followed by three days of rain. I'm going to spend a lot of today outdoors, regardless of temperature :)

      Delete
  3. Well I meant Quinn and my fingers put Piper. But she's still very present to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I like the sleeping bag idea. We don't necessarily have a good view point from our place, but I didn't want to endure the cold to look for shooting stars. Happy belated solstice to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sally! I did some online browsing last night and discovered there are now sleeping bags with zippered openings for arms - what a fantastic innovation for chaise-tilting sky-watchers :)

      Delete
  5. Happy Christamas!
    Feeling at easy watching the night sky sounds like a wonderful way to relax.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who tries to quietly open the door (and sneak out of the house) so the goats don't hear me and start hollering. I hope you had a very happy solstice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leigh - yes, no matter what time I go outside, even if it's three in the morning, the goats will get up to see what I'm doing. I guess it's good that someone is keeping an eye on me :)

      Delete
  7. Belated happy solstice! It is markedly lighter both morning and evening here, the hens are starting to lay again, and the baby lettuce (under the windowpane laid across the raised bed) is at least a couple of millimeters taller.

    And an early Happy New Year!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lettuce measurement made me laugh - here's to salad days ahead!

      Delete
  8. It is kind of metaphysical to contemplate that you had been woken by the solstice - but I’m willing to go along with that. Sure beats an image of The Virgin Mary in a doughnut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your interesting comparison made me chuckle :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.