Tuesday, November 28, 2023

november notes

 

Dara at the door.
If he comes in, I will put his collar on.
If he stays out, he will not have his breakfast.
It's a conundrum, isn't it, Dara?


For a couple of months, since I started feeding the goats individual pans of chaffhaye in lieu of hay either once or twice daily, I've been shifting the herd into a collar-and-tie routine; collaring and tying every goat, for every feed, in three small groups and in a very specific order to prevent fisticuffs. Patience has paid off, as it usually does in Goat World: bit by little bit, the process has become more streamlined. For several weeks, the morning feed was taking upwards of three hours. Just the feed; not hoof trimming or any other attention. Now it's generally a little more than two hours. One morning last week I was astonished when I went back into the house (for my own feed) and saw that the pans had taken less than two hours. My first thought was that I had somehow forgotten one group of goats. But no, it had just been an exceptionally efficient morning. Which has not been repeated. Yet.


This month we've had three light snows that stayed on the ground for at least one day. The most recent was ice pellets mixed with snow, and there was enough of it that working on the barn and Peace Pavilion roof had to be postponed until the coating of ice melted. Luckily for me, my Occasional Helper came by on the Friday after Thanksgiving and "brought a plate" as they say here. When I pointed out that the barn roof was finally clear, he offered to hop up and quickly rearrange the massive tarp that had been blown awry in the storm.
I enjoyed the turkey dinner tremendously, but having that brand-new sixty dollar tarp secured against damage to itself was a positive thrill.


There's always something interesting to see on morning chores.

Wild blackberry (Rubus) leaves at their most colorful:



Of course many colors are muted at this time of year,
but all the easier to admire the textures.
Like this bee balm seed head:



Lately the letterbox yields only bills and charity appeals, 
but seeing this milkweed pod lit by the morning sun 
made yesterday's trip to fetch the mail more than worthwhile:


Speaking of charity appeals, today is Giving Tuesday, when many charities receive a match for any donation made. I try to remember to make my annual donations on this day, to double their impact. Sometimes I forget and miss the day, so writing about it here is an effort to jog my own memory. Also, in case helpful to anyone.

And now out to the collars and ties. Later today my Occasional Helper's working hours are being reassigned from the barns to chauffeur me around. Because I need to get to the Registry of Motor Vehicles in order to renew my license. Ironic, no?

Have a lovely Tuesday!
~~~~~

16 comments:

  1. That's a lot of work just to keep them fed. What's the reason for the change? I was able to renew my license by mail, joy, relief at not having to brave the motor vehickle offices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason is a lack of decent hay to be had at any price. Because of all the weeks of rain this "summer."

      Delete
  2. License renewal is online, most all DMV tasks are online in Vermont. I hope all goes well.
    How is the vehicle hunting going? I hope you are going to do that. The seed pod will be a lovely drawing.
    I recently took a photo of one when out and about last week. I brought it home in my pocket. The milkweed here was cut down. In the spring, I hope to plant the seed indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here in MA with the RMV, but I wasn't able to renew online this time. Maybe there's a limit to how many renewals you can do online before they ask you to come in person? I preregistered online, which saved time anyway, but they said they needed a new photo. Fair enough; I'm probably aging visibly by the day at this point.

      Delete
    2. I had to renew in person last year here in Washington, at age 72. They really only want to see that you can walk up to the counter — and then they gave me a license good until I’m 80! Cam

      Delete
    3. Wow, Cam - an 8-year license!

      Delete
  3. What a tiring routine! But I imagine it is saving you a lot of hay. How many goats do you have now? I have lost count.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to chuckle at your description of changing the goats' routine and the photo. I've used the collar-and-tie method for years, for feeding my does (the bucks are a different matter) and find it works really well. Now, I say, "go to your spot" and everyone complies. But training for a new routine requires a lot of patience! So, good for you, and good for your goats. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I invite four big boys into the stilt barn for their pans of chaffhaye, I say, "Gentlemen, to your corners." But it's more for my amusement - and because the prize-fight vibe is strong in that group - than for any response expected on their part ;)

      Delete
  5. What a conundrum! LOL. Excellent work that you've wrangled those unruly goats (even if it's only a little bit). I think you have to go in every-other-time to renew your license. I had to go in the last time, so I'll be able to renew online this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the pre-registration online, plus having to book a time-slot, worked out really well. I went to the AAA (while I'm still a member) in Hadley, and was done in a very few minutes!

      Delete
  6. Oh my, that Monarda seedhead has personality. I will have to go out and visit ours with your artist's eye.

    Chaffhaye is new to me. I just visited their website. Are you seeing the health benefits that they claim? Sympathies on the utter lack of hay.

    Our first snowfall of the winter ushered in December. Unlike you, we need the moisture.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I have mixed feelings about chaffhaye, both in terms of quality and the protein level, which is higher than what my cashmere goats need. But right now I am just so grateful to have SOMETHING decent to feed them, however labor-intensively, that I'm putting aside quality control issues (I toss an average of 1.5 pounds from every 50-lb bag) and the worrying amount of thick plastic packaging I'm going to struggle to repurpose. I was also able to pay to have two pallets delivered to me here at home, by a very game forklift driver who managed to get the pallets almost to my barn - a daily timesaver for me!

      Delete
  7. I love the look of indecision on Dara's face - you can see it in his eyes. I'm sorry to hear that you still weren't able to get any decent hay for them. Sad to think that many farmers no doubt have had to cull their herds because of the shortage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to buy a load of hay from my largest supplier soon. I don't have much hope for the quality. The goats really WANT hay to nibble on at all hours, though, so now that we're getting really cold weather I'm going to try to keep giving them at least a bit along with the chaffhaye. But it makes me feel sick to give them poor hay. There's no easy answer.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.