Sunday, September 24, 2023

beans yesterday, beans tomorrow

Well, my guess was correct. 
The beansalad days are indeed over for the year, though lingering vines are still holding on to their beans.


These yellow Romano-type beans, which I don't intend to plant again, are being picked as soon as they start to feel papery, and brought in for further drying, and shelling. Maybe they'll be nice in a soup this Winter.

The last few French filet beans, yellow and green, are being left to dry for seed. They are my long-time favorites but some years it has been impossible to find seeds for the varieties I prefer. Letting them dry on the vine has always been tricky due to Autumn rains, and of course this year, all bets are off regarding weather. Maybe we'll have a very dry Autumn. Who knows? It's raining right now. Anyway, I'll leave them on the vine as long as possible, and hope they don't rot.

When I planted beans this year, the newly-purchased seed looked disappointing, so I dug into my seed box and planted lots of saved bean seed from previous years as well. Thank goodness I planted heavily. What with the weather - apologies if you are sick of hearing about the weather - and my sorry excuse for a trellis, I consider myself very lucky indeed to have harvested enough beans for many bowls of beansalad. Which was just about the only recognizable feature of "Summer" in 2023.

Next year, though? I'm already working on it.

Vincent 1885

~~~~~

12 comments:

  1. Saving seed is always an excellent idea. I sometimes have a similar drying problem, although mine's more from humidity than rain. There's always a challenge out there, waiting to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the nicest things about Autumn here - usually, at least in the past - has been air that feels fresh and invigorating. In large part, because Summer's humidity is gone. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. I rarely save seed because I thought the different varieties would cross pollinate. Is that not true with beans? I do save asparagus and various flower seeds though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! I always thought beans would cross, and had written a response before reading down to the comment from Chris below. Chris knows her beans :) So I deleted my inaccurate take on bean reproduction, and I've learned something very useful today!

      Delete
  3. I'm working on next year, too! Somebody ate my soybeans before I got to have any, but I'm definitely going to try them again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are ambitious for next year! Would love to have some of your rain...

    Having a stash of saved seeds is always wise. Granny Sue: beans usually self-pollinate (as do tomatoes), so they're great seeds to save. Melons, cucurbits and peppers are wildly promiscuous.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I should have read your comment before I replied to Sue! I've always thought beans would cross. Thanks very much for sharing that info, Chris!

      Delete
  5. Beans are my least favourite vegetable, although I do like bean salad and some versions of baked beans. Just eating beans plain is not on my radar. Goes back to my childhood when my mother would put both green and yellow beans in the freezer. First she'd blanch them (read that to mean, she cooked them!) and then she'd put them into recycled shortening boxes where they would succumb to freezer burn before being boiled within an inch of their lives before serving. They were beyond gross. She couldn't taste or smell so to her they were fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sad not to be able to taste or smell food! And how sad for you. I also grew up in a house of very, very cooked vegetables, and when I started cooking for myself as a teenager and bought one of those inexpensive metal folding steamers, it was like experiencing vegetables for the first time. Texture! Taste! COLOR!!

      Delete
  6. The weather last summer was a disappointment with all the rain. So far this fall looks to be dry.
    End of the garden relish mother made, best relish ever, heavy on green beans. Great topping for potato salad. It is the only time I have green beans on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of making a topping for potato salad. Making a note!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.