Monday, July 3, 2023

saturated sunday

 

It was not raining yesterday when these pictures were taken.


This year I've become very aware of the aroma of milkweed.
It's lovely, and stops me in my tracks at least twice every day, as I pass the plants growing next to the path to the barn.
Daily trips with the little hay cart have been rerouted to prevent a collision with the one milkweed plant growing in the shorter path.


Spiderwort is providing surprises:
I've now seen four shades of purple on individual plants.
Here are two:




And a single spiderwort plant blooming white. 


The palette of the barn gardens is about to change.
Daylilies on the brink of blooming:



After several years of trying, the precious thornless raspberries I've planted in the terrace garden seem to have come to terms with the tough soil and light conditions here, and are not just surviving, but growing. They are currently doing as well as can be expected in a subtropical rainforest.

(This snap makes my mouth water.)


Wishing you all an excellent week ahead.
And wishing us all a bit of moderate weather.
I don't know anyone who doesn't need it.
~~~~~

15 comments:

  1. I love spiderwort. One of my neighbors commented recently on the one growing by my path, that's a weed! I huffily said that's spiderwort and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't think of any plant as a weed.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos! That last one reminds me I've been wanting to paint some raspberries. Must do that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your photos, as usual! I have never seen white spiderweb, but I do have an interesting one with yelliw-green leaves. We got rain yesterday, a really bad thunderstorm that thoroughly drenched us. And probably washed away the fertilizer Larry spent 2 hours applying just before the storm swept in. Ah me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I empathise. I won't be surprised if my kale and okra seeds are a good ways downslope from where they were planted.

      Delete
  4. Raspberries and spiderwort, two favorites. Everything looks happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only discovered spiderwort a few years ago - now I've got an enjoyable collection :)

      Delete
  5. Isn't it lovely how nature is full of surprises?! You pay attention more than most. My delight today was finding two kinds of bumblebees and several solitary bees (ironically!) swarming the purple prairie clover that has just burst into its magnificent Dr. Seussian blooms.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thornless raspberries - how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when I decided to plant raspberries, I did a little research... seemed worth the effort to try growing a thornless variety!

      Delete
  7. Milkweed is a beautiful plant - the flowers are lovely and the scent is amazing. Most people don't have any clue that they smell so nice.
    Those raspberries look so good! I rarely get any because DH hates them (his mother grew a TON of them and his summers were spent picking them for her to sell so I guess it's no wonder he doesn't like them). I look upon them as being a treat because my mother would buy me a few for my birthday every year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love milkweed flowers, and the plants by the barn seem to have more aroma than most - maybe the sun hits them in a particular way in the early morning or something. I've gone around sniffing other milkweed flowers to compare, but they were much fainter. Pretty, though!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.