Wednesday, March 1, 2023

marching on

 I've lost track of the snowstorms.


We are having Winter at last!


It's a relief, really. 

A relief to have snow at a time of year when snow is expected. An actual pleasure to have a cold day followed by another cold day. (Did I mention that this year I was still showering outdoors in late December because every other day felt like October?) And ice-crusted snow that is hazardous for a human to walk on and a problem even for goats. (I admit I could do without the ice. I've often said I'd rather have two feet of snow than a quarter-inch of ice, and it's true.)


There's plenty of food for cats and humans in the cupboard and freezer. Plenty of organic feed for the hens. And plenty of seeds and mealworms and suet for the wilds.


There's still enough hay for at least a week before I have to get another truck up the driveway, hopefully after a brief thaw and before another snowfall. So I'm not going to worry about that today.

You know the expression "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof"? 

I think sufficient is also the good thereof.


I think life is plenty hard
and plenty good.

~~~~~

10 comments:

  1. Great photos. I've never lived where there's snow but definitely would much prefer it to ice because I've heard of so many people falling on the ice. My youngest boy is in Brooklyn and he said their sidewalks were icy because it snowed and then rained. Stay warm and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how the current layer-cake started, with a day of rain atop a layer of snow. There have been at least three new layers of snow atop that ice. More snow in the forecast.

      Delete
  2. "Sufficient is also the good." That's excellent and your lovely photos clarify the point. It's so easy to be negative about things. Your post is a good reminder that it's a choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it gets easier with practice. I've had a lifetime of practice, and it serves me well :)

      Delete
  3. Cheerful post! More than I could manage, so done with cold! I think I got used to unseasonable warmth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone. All Winter I've been hearing people applaud the warm days. Horses for courses :)

      Delete
  4. Your feeders certainly look like a popular spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! From before-dawn to dusk, there's always something going on out there.

      Delete
  5. I love that last photo - another one that's worthy of making into a greeting card.
    Snow is a four-letter word here at the moment (Saturday). We got at least 13" overnight and more predicted for Monday. I'm over winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a whole series of photographs of that bluebird in the snow - so exciting!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.