Saturday, December 24, 2022

weather report

After getting fairly well into the Winter rhythm of life,
this was yesterday morning:


As the day went on, the temperature topped 50F.
Rain. And wind.
Darkish:


Happily, the sun made a surprise appearance once or twice, which meant I could race outside and do a quick chore or two without getting thoroughly soaked except from the knees down.
This was a sunny time:
 

I took the opportunity to let the fire burn out completely so I could clean all the ashes out of the woodstove. Then I immediately laid another fire, because in the afternoon the temperature dropped at a rapid clip. The rain turned to snow and wind around 6PM, but we were fortunately spared the drama some places saw, and didn't lose power. So grateful. Without power, there is no water. Goats need a lot of water.

The forecast called for single digits last night - a 50-degree drop! - so I lit the propane heater for the first time this Winter, as back up for the woodstove.

It was 4F and clear when I started the chores today, Christmas Eve.
The first round of feeding and watering took nearly 2 hours, and I had to come in twice to dunk my aching fingers in a bowl of tepid water despite wearing crazy-thick, insulated, rubber-palmed gloves. Just a minute in tepid water and my hands were as good as new and ready to get back to work.
Water is a magical element, is all I'm saying.

Too cold to take photographs today, so here is a recent picture from my tiny wildlife area, which is extremely popular these days. This bird is demonstrating the tail-brace method woodpeckers use, which is why I attach suet feeder to scraps of board. I like my guests to be comfortable while they dine.


Speaking of guests, if you are celebrating holidays with loved ones I hope it will be wonderful. And if you are enjoying a quiet weekend, I hope you have everything you need for a perfect time, including running water and heat and snacks. And plenty of hay.

It's nearly 4, and I've got one more quick round of chores to do before dark, so I'd better pull my socks up and get moving.
~~~~~

12 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Quinn - stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Anne - wishing you and the Resident Chef and all your loved ones a wonderful Christmas :)

      Delete
  2. Merry merry Christmas, Quinn! Been cold aa can be here, but all is calm and bright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours, Susanna! Calm and bright and 6F right now at 2AM - stay warm :)

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas, Quinn! That's one heck of a temperature drop! Peace on earth (I dream!), good will to all.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all dreamers, I think :) Happy Christmas to you and yours, Chris!

      Delete
  4. Quinn, I'm glad you're blogging again! Wishing you a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Leigh! Wishing you and Dan all the best in the year ahead :)

      Delete
  5. We were lucky not to have standing water anywhere on the driveway, so it wasn't slippery for when family came over today. The day sped by too quickly! I hope you are all warm and toasty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now we're back to high temps and mud just in time for the New Year.

      Delete
  6. Happy Holidays!
    Cold is awful. Glad you have warmth there.
    No power loss here as well, for the last round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you now had the extreme cold followed by subtropical temps again? Stay safe up there!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.