Wednesday, September 2, 2020

september 2nd

In 1752, a random immigrant settler in New England - oh, let's say a goatherd who had done the evening chores and was ready for bed - watched the sun go down on September 2nd and woke up to sunrise the next morning on September 14th. England - including of course our little Colony - had just switched, overnight, to the Gregorian calendar.

This is a bit the way time feels to me lately. While I am asleep - or at least, not paying attention - time is taking great leaps. But unlike the colonial goatherd who perhaps was  suspicious if not downright resentful at the disappearance of 12 days, I find that time also feels static. The static part is far more disorienting to me.

I want to thank everyone for their kind comments on my most recent post, and I appreciate very much that people who cannot comment here took the time to find another way to reach me. Your words really touched me, and it means a lot to know that Piper made so many online friends. I sometimes said that Piper and LeShodu each believed she ran the blog, and now they are both gone and I see that maybe they were right because in recent days I've had no words at all.

I will probably write Piper's story someday - it's a good story, a happy story - but words of any kind are oddly elusive right now. Yesterday I had to make a phonecall and felt like I was trying to communicate in a second language. This post is by far the most words I have strung together, writing or talking, since my previous post. I'm fine - we are all fine - it's just a very strange time right now.

Maybe I'll try to post images for a while.

Thank you again. So much.

~~~~~

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And to you, Sally. Thank you so much for your beautiful card.

      Delete
  2. Dealing with trauma, I found the more I read about trauma, the lighter the load I felt. Missing days, to me it was in class on chapter one, but when I turn my page, the class is on chapter 9. I know where I was, during the missing days, but missed sensing that passage of time. Years later, I learned about the condition online when researching brain fogs and trauma.

    Prayers continue

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to see you in here. If pictures are what you can do, yours are so good it will be a treat.
    You've had two iconic losses, it will take time. So it's okay to take the time it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course it will take time until the world is back to something less odd, and in the midst of a pandemic (which I am calling pan-damn-ick) it will be even harder. I will be thinking of you. Be kind to yourself. And yes, your pictures are always a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taking the time to properly grieve and process is important. Trying to pretend that all is well is not good for the soul. So if photos is all you can manage for awhile, feel free. Sending good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending healing thoughts. It's so hard. I know that and you know that. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't say it better than Magpie's Mumblings. One day at a time. Chop wood, carry water (or hay), as Boud might say.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  8. I posted below about Piper, but wanted you to know I miss keeping up with you and the goats. I had gotten behind in my blog reading and was looking forward to seeing what you'd been up to. I hope you will post again when you can find the heart to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope it gets better soon, best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of you and hope you are coping ok. I miss your lovely blog. I'll keep checking for you! Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm missing you and your thoughts. I know that when i lost my dog, Dougal, my companion of more than 11 years that it took many months before I felt energy and ready to engage. I hope you are OK and you and the animals are ready for winter which is coming upon us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope that you are doing okay over there. Sending warm wishes and healing hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am looking forward to reading Piper's story one day. I think the writing of it would be a comfort to me, but we are all different. Right now I'm finding comfort over the loss of a family member by working on his genealogy and gathering together the details of his life. Losing loved ones, human or animal, during these strange times has an added edge. I hope you and the goats have a cozy winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Still thinking of you and hoping all is well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.