Tuesday, July 21, 2020

tuesday tints

Moxie would like to draw your attention to one of the new anemones.
She's staying in the background so her flower can have the spotlight.



This Spring I wanted to plant something special in a spot between the barns.

Remembering my wonderful experience with a Japanese anemone purchased on a whim at a local nursery last year, I decided to look for anemone bulbs.




But in a different color.

These anemone bulbs, ordered online, were advertised as "the deepest blue."









Not all the flowers are quite so deeply blue,


and even the darkest ones may gradually turn paler.


But they are all very pretty shades of blue, violet, and lavender.


If anyone knows anything about these plants, please share in the comments! I really didn't know what to expect apart from that "deepest blue" description, as I didn't buy the bulbs from a nursery. It was an experiment, and the plants are probably quite a different variety or even a different species of anemone, Some of the stems on the Japanese anemone of last year were waist-high, and the plant grew into a robust clump. The new ones are smaller - more like 12 inches tall - and less sturdy. I also remember the pink flowers lasting a remarkably long time, while the blue ones are gone in a few days. Of course the weather has been dreadfully hot, which may be a factor. I keep trimming off the spent flowers in hopes of encouraging more growth and blooms. And I'll try to protect the bulbs over the Winter, to return in the Spring.

We'll see!
~~~~~

6 comments:

  1. That really saturated blue you sometimes see in anemones is one of my favorite colors anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it a common thing, then? I had no idea. It certainly is a rich blue!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful colors. Most of my flowers at present are bolder, but I really love the subtle tints. Purple, of course, can be as bold as it wants to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful - thank you Moxie! Afraid I know nothing about them though, beyond knowing they're pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pic of Moxie, and the flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.