Friday, July 24, 2020

the first salad

`

Cucumber, snow peas, and balsamic dressing.


This week I noticed two tiny Suyo Long cucumbers on the ground, right at the base of the two plants. I harvested them right away, in hopes this will allow the plants to devote more energy to growing up on their trellis - they were slow to start, possibly due to insect damage. There are several flowers on both plants now, and they are beginning to climb. I'm hoping for lots of cucumbers as the summer goes on. These are the only variety I planted this year, and I could happily eat Suyos every day.


 

Snow peas are a new venture for me, and these have been hit with constant very hot weather from the day they germinated. It seemed doubtful they would survive. The plants look very frail and some are already withering, but last week they began producing flowers and pods. So pretty! And tasty. Next year I will plant more, and try to start them earlier. I'd like to have enough to freeze, as they would be quite a delicate treat in the middle of Winter.

A request: do any of you gardeners have a tried-and-true recipe for a plant spray that will protect plants from destructive bugs without harming the good bugs? I've found many online recipes (of course) but there seem to be a lot of "I tried that and it killed all my plants!" stories also. And lots of people don't seem to realize that diatomaceous earth does not discriminate. I grow organically, and generally overplant to try to offset losses due to bugs and other problems, but many of my plants are struggling this year so I've got to try something. If you've had success with a homemade solution, please share in the comments or an email - thank you!

We had a huge downpour yesterday, really a series of downpours, with thunder that shook the house. The rainfall meant I didn't need to water the gardens last night. Thank goodness. I had an appointment in the morning which left me fairly dozy and fizzled out later in the day. In fact I was half asleep when I heard the first roll of thunder and had to hasten outside to get the hay covered just as the raindrops began to fall. Thank goodness again!

Here's to the weekend ahead - 
I hope we all have a good one.

Here's a little Hesperis matronalis to get us off to a good start:


~~~~~

12 comments:

  1. Your salad looks scrumptious. This is my second year to try snow peas. My first year was like yours, but I'm willing to give things at least two or three tries before calling it quits. This year was great! The snow peas are less work that English peas, which is always a plus in my book, plus they are tasty. Glad yours seem to be recovering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was drawn to these peas in part because the seed was originally collected in India, so I though *maybe* these plants could tolerate more heat than some. Although the seed company did not make that claim, so who knows what conditions they thrive in, in India? Anyway, I'm certainly hoping to plant them again next year. Will you be freezing some, Leigh?

      Delete
  2. Snow peas are prolific if they get going despite hot weather. Lovely to pick your own salad.

    I've had some success with a homemade spray of oil, diluted dish detergent and red pepper. It seemed to wipe out aphids without hurting praying mantis and other helpful insects. It does have to be reapplied a lot, especially after rain. It might be worth a try.

    But like you, I've counted on a lot of produce to at least share the harvest with other life forms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Boud's spray recipe is probably a good one; I used some form of soap (diluted dish soap, or some insecticidal soap sold commercially) combined with spraying water fairly hard first.

      I don't garden any more since moving to a very allergin-producing spot in Texas, so I really enjoy the stories and pictures of gardens, vicariously.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Liz and kayT - I'm going to make a similar spray and use it tonight. In addition to the holes in cucumber, squash, and okra leaves, I'm now seeing aphid fuzz on my struggling young raspberry plants! Measures must be taken!

      Delete
  3. I remember using a combination of dish soap and water in a spray bottle for aphids but that was about all we used. Can't remember the proportions unfortunately. Wish I had a better suggestion. (your salad looks so good!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use cayenne pepper with a little Dawn dish soap. It works for bugs and seems to deter the gophers and rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have used Neem Oil this year. It is organic but that doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt the good bugs. I didn't have time to find out when bugs started appearing all over my pepper plants. It was all that I had, and it worked after about 3 sprayings. I know that a bad bug outbreak can kill everything in my greenhouse so I just sprayed and hoped. If you learn more, please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wondering how things are going in your greenhouse - sounds like you've got any problems under control!

      Delete
  6. I've tried many things for the bugs that are rampant here in Maine. There are 2 beehives boarding at my garden so I have to be very careful. Apparently, essential oil of peppermint is something that all bugs dislike and it confuses them with the smell. I tablespoon per gallon of spray. Another thing is cold pressed neem oil which is 2 tablespoon per gallon. This does kill bugs and also repels them with the smell. On my potatos I had to spray numerous times. There is also a product called Monterrey Garden spray. It is organic but is does kill bees so to use it, it would be in the evening and then has a chance to dry overnight, then it doesn't hurt them. As you can see, Ive tried everything! Oh ya, also cucumber beetles, on which I used various things. Even my zinnias were eaten almost to death by these little things, thirps, (or thrips, whatever!)I have never had this before. What a year for insects! Good luck. I so enjoy your posts, photos and links, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think we probably have many of the same Undesirables in our gardens! I saw a couple of those wretched striped cucumber beetles last night when I was out with my Dawn and red pepper spray bottle. I think I'll try the peppermint oil next because I believe I have some on hand. If not, I'll try to buy Neem oil.
      Thanks for sharing your experiences, and thanks also for your kind words about Comptonia - made my day :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.