Sunday, April 26, 2020

happy trails

 On one of our short walks along our road last Autumn,
Piper and I noticed a patch of Epigaea repens: trailing arbutus, or mayflower.
This is what a section of it looked like on 16 September 2019:

(You can left-click to embiggen all these images.)

This patch of arbutus does not have an easy life.
In early April, the plants looked like this:


I didn't know how early it might bloom
so we've walked that way often to check on it.

We had a fairly heavy snowstorm
shortly before these three pictures were taken,
on the 19th of April.
 The first shows the entire patch of arbutus,
on the slope in the right side of the photograph:


Something caught my eye.
Can you see it?


I put the camera on the ground for a closer view.

These delicate buds had been buried in snow one day earlier.



And six days later, yesterday:








This last picture is my favorite:


The little flowers peeping out from beneath tough, tattered leaves,
amongst a criss-cross tangle of pine needles and twigs,
finding a small beam of sunlight.

I hope you are also finding all the sunlight you need.
~~~~~

18 comments:

  1. Thank you for these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. They are :) I wouldn't be surprised if you see them in your neck of the woods.

      Delete
  3. They are very tough but also very beautiful little flowers. I love stories like this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, KB - I hope you will soon be seeing flowers on the Front Range!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Do you see this one where you are, Sally? I would think you might!

      Delete
  5. I think you'll have to rename it Aprilflower. Which leads me to wonder what Mayflower the Mayflower, of Pilgrim notoriety, was named for.

    Cheers,
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An found that someone else (Larry Hodgson, bless his laidback gardening heart) had done the research: https://laidbackgardener.blog/2017/05/01/the-mayflower-the-flower-behind-the-name/. Though see the comment below his post. Ah, common names!

      Delete
    2. Common names can be far more misleading and confusing than helpful, but unfortunately they are often easy to remember! :)

      Delete
    3. And thanks for looking it up and sharing, Chris :)

      Delete
  6. Such pretty little flowers! Nice to see. I was astounded when I looked out the window this morning to see what someone must have planted a bunch of daffodils across the river. They certainly weren't there last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a nice surprise! I was afraid you were going to say you looked out and saw snow!

      Delete
    2. That's happened once or twice in the last couple of weeks so it's not surprising.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.