Thursday, March 5, 2020

thankful thursday



this evening

I am so thankful that the forester I once had the great good fortune to work with, still, many years later, keeps me on his list for an annual stovewood delivery.

He's doing me a favor - my little Waterford stove only takes 
short wood, and when he loads up his big truck with shorts and offcuts, it means a lot of extra handling. So when I get a call saying "the truck is loaded, is this a good time?" yes, it is. And watching as that wood rolls like thunder off the back of the truck feels like my birthday, every time.

The hard part is paying for the wood. I can't judge the cordage at all, because of the size of the pieces. He can probably judge the cordage quite accurately, but never does. So every year, I say, "Now what do I owe you?" And he says, "Oh, I don't know," and then names a price. And then I say, "That's not enough," and give him some cash. And then he says, "That's too much," and gives some back.

And then I start stacking the wood under cover. And all winter long, the woodbox by the stove is filled and emptied, filled and emptied.


And I am warmed not just by the fire, but by gratitude.
~~~~~

13 comments:

  1. Sounds as if he values you, too, not just as a wood customer. Lovely symbiosis there. So your wood's warming you three times, not the usual twice. Nice to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's my very good friend, and I hope he feels the same about me.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful transaction, the way you describe it would make a neat children's book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to write and illustrate a children's book :)

      Delete
  3. :-) I love the back and forth. And the glow in that stove looks so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you be burning wood in your new home, Sally?

      Delete
  4. Another great post!!It looks so comfy with the stove. What a blessing to have awood delivery man like that!! He even cuts it in small pieces. That's a first! Wonderful! I grew up with wood stove and haven't felt as warm since. There is something special about the warmth of burning Wood. Takes a lot of work tho' Great stove!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit more work than propane, true. But a lot more "locally sourced" :)

      Delete
  5. Ditto to Salty Pumpkin, a story so well worded, and ( I hopped to you from KB) as a user of firewood all our life together, and before, we so appreciate the shed full well before the start of winter,. Small logs, offcuts, they are just made for you and the smaller stove, For the last 18 years we had our own acre with well matured trees to be felled, cut into rounds and split. We sold that property a year ago, and now pay for the wood, and I am so grateful when the man arrives, tips the tray, and it all tumbles down,. payment goes out so willingly, as I know what is involved before it comes to us. I wonder how your title will be and the opening chapter read? Waiting to see. Best regards from down in New Zealand, where we live the winters are not severe, a snow fall is rare, about one in every 50 years or so!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could choose ONE place to visit in the world, it would be New Zealand. I've always had the feeling that if I once got my feet on that ground I would never want to leave.
      I used to do a lot more of the wood work myself, and I really miss splitting wood - it was always one of my most satisfying chores. Took me three years to admit that I *had* to stop because a reliable grip is essential when a person is swinging a splitting maul. Can't say I really miss loading up the wood into my vehicle and then unloading it again at home, though. A delivery is quite a treat!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful, Quinn. A perfect example of how our economy should work, but rarely does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could quite happily sit in front of your lovely fire and while away a few pleasant hours. Blessing indeed to have a 'wood guy' that keeps you supplied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, come on down! It's been warm for a couple of days but I know better than to clean the stove "for the season" at this point :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.