Thursday, February 6, 2020

thankful thursday



There have been many wild birds here every day this Winter: juncoes and chickadees and finches and titmice and nuthatches and cardinals and jays and downy woodpeckers and hairy woodpeckers and red-bellied woodpeckers. There is a small hanging basin for water, and every morning I pop out the disk of ice that has formed and refill the basin from one of the buckets I'm carrying to the goats, so that at least once daily the birds have access to water in a relatively safe spot. (I've also had hawks here this Winter, so the safety is not absolute.)


In addition to a suet feeder and a hanging feeder of mixed seeds, I've also been scattering seed on the snow under the thicket of Kerria japonica and Spirea branches. I began doing it so the juncoes would have plenty of food available instead of waiting for seed to fall from the hanging feeder, but as more and more birds made it clear that they enjoyed this less-exposed dining area, I began putting more seed on the ground. It's been quite remarkable how many birds will gather under and within those shrubs every day. And around the corner, the suet feeder is especially popular with all the woodpeckers.


This morning I happened to look out at the exact right moment to see two new visitors to the suet feeder, each appearing briefly before flying off. 

First the male:


Then the female:


Eastern Bluebirds!

This is only the second time I have seen a bluebird on my property, and it was such a gift to look out at just the right moment to see this pair. I'm sorry the pictures are a bit murky; it was sleeting lightly.

When I went out to scatter seed and fill the wild bird feeder today, I added dried mealworms to the little feeder attached to a window. The titmice and finches visit it now, but maybe the bluebirds will come back and give it a try if they notice the mealworms. Or maybe I'll put up a second suet feeder.
I would love to see bluebirds as regular visitors here.

But even if it's another two years before the third sighting,
I'm so grateful I saw these two today!

~~~~~

26 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It is a real treat to see birds that aren't regulars.
    Day 2 for putting out seed. It's been years since I put a feeder out. So far the seed has more snow than birds covering it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only put out a little bit of seed in a new feeder, so if the birds don't find it right away I can throw the seed away (without feeling that I'm wasting a lot) before it can get moldy. Sometimes it takes a while for birds to find a new feeder, but once they do, it's so much fun to have them visit. I hope yours arrive soon!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful to have so many feathered visitors who are enjoying a winter meal. You got some great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day when the temperature rose above freezing, I took the opportunity to wash a few windows - starting with the one next to the suet feeder. Made a remarkable difference in the clarity of photographs ;)

      Delete
  3. Wow - bluebirds!!! That's a special day indeed!

    Cheers,
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think this is an overwintering pair with a nest nearby? I'd love to think so!

      Delete
    2. Good question! I've heard that bluebirds have a habit of overwintering only as far south as they need to in any given winter, then make periodic forays north in hopes of an early spring and jumpstart on nesting before their competitors return. If the weather worsens, they drop south again for a bit. But I don't have first-hand experience.

      Delete
    3. How interesting - thanks for that info!

      Delete
  4. It looks like you have snow! I love bluebirds. We have a pair that resides somewhere around our homestead so we see them often. I sometimes think about putting up another bird feeder, but most of our songbirds now just help themselves to scratch in the chicken yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't NOT had snow on the ground this Winter. Unfortunately at the moment, it is covered in a crust of ice. Chores were quite exciting yesterday and today.

      Delete
  5. I love bluebirds. They stay year round in our nearby Preserve, but I've only seen them very occasionally. So great to actually have them visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently some overwinter here, which I hope this pair has done. If they are returning migratory early-birds they are likely in for some tough sledding.

      Delete
  6. Bluebirds love the suet feeder. And they're the only ones I've ever seen share the feeder, too. All the rest just hog it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That clinches it - I'll put up another suet feeder. I don't want the bluebirds to be intimidated by the woodpeckers. Even the smallest downy woodpecker is substantially larger than a bluebird!

      Delete
  7. What a nice surprise to see the bluebirds! We have them here, and they are occasional feeder visitors. I get all excited when we see any of the grosbeak family, which are probably regulars to your feeders but rare to see at my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No grosbeaks here, either! I was astonished to see them at a friend's house in town. He said they were always at the feeder! Maybe someday :)

      Delete
  8. I like the blue birds also. I put up nesting boxes and they come every year I placed them about hundred feet apart. It's such a joy to see them each year. There used to be a lot of them around here. They use to like to nest in fence post. It's nice to see the back. I always put out the mealy worms. I guess that is their favorite food. Love the wood peckers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I wish I could see bluebirds for real....they nest just north of us but I've never been lucky enough to see one. We get woodpeckers at our feeder every day but I can't get pictures because all our windows are covered in screens that can't be removed. You got great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every Spring I have to decide how many windows I can put screens in ...I hate to obscure the view but I have to be able to keep some windows open!

      Delete
  10. I love love love bluebirds. Here, they mean springtime. I didn't know that mealworms could be mixed in with seed. Maybe I could attract some bluebirds to my feeder that way :) I also scatter seed on the ground for juncos but only during storms (under our covered porch). Hmmm, now you have me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son and daughter-in-law who live in NH have Bluebirds all winter long! So don't give up. They aren't only at the feeder, but splashing in the water she keeps outside for them.
    I always enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will keep my fingers crossed :)

      Delete
  12. Love your photos! I don't know the names of most of the birds I see. I see bluejays in the yard quite often. I DO know a bluejay when I see one! Picked up a bird book at a used bookstore a couple months ago. Maybe that will help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bird ID skills are minimal - but having feeders in view from the windows has helped a bit:)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.