Wednesday, December 4, 2019

wordy wednesday


The snow.



It is deep.



Bud is okay with this "Winter" thing.
He and Hazel have certainly had a "deep end of the pool" introduction to snow.



Mourning Doves feed on the ground, and are not as comfortable with the deep snow as are the smaller, lighter birds. This one was resting for a while between feeding sessions.



The snow is over my knees.
Yesterday I waded out to the workshop
and retrieved my snowshoes from their place on the wall.


Then I waded back to the house and dusted off my logger boots.
Since my dungarees were still soaked from the day before, I dug out my old fleece-lined riding breeches, last worn in - I think - 2007.

This fetching ensemble brought back some good memories
of working in the woods during the Winter of 2000-2001.

19 years ago?
Crikey.



The snow kept falling until around noon, but in late afternoon the sun made a welcome appearance. I thought Piper might like to accompany me on my quest to the bottom of the unplowed driveway, where the Highlander was awaiting excavation.


Piper said, "No thanks. I'll just go back inside and let the clumps of snow on my legs melt into puddles throughout the house. You have fun, though!"


I got much of the snow off the truck, before throwing in the towel and leaving the rest for today, Wednesday. I needed to save a little energy for evening chores, which I finished up just as the sun was beginning to set.


I am happy to say more snow is *not* predicted, until Friday.

~~~~~

13 comments:

  1. That is a lot of snow!
    Reebok makes a nice pair of waterproof wind pants, deep pockets, zipper and elastic at hem, and they dry fairly quickly. I wear mine right over my jeans, and down over my boots. I've had my pair for going on ten years +/-, barely any wear and no repairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound great! I was just thinking this morning about how much I liked having waterproof trousers at one long-ago time in my life. I bought them on a clearance rack at someplace like Eastern Mountain Sports, and wore them as-needed for years. Then they were irreparably redesigned by a puppy who shall remain nameless.

      Delete
  2. It was a glorious day! How long before the goats trample down the snow in their area? Or do they wait and hope it melts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No trampling. They make little narrow trails, and then walk single-file. And one goat in the line always decides to stop. Or turn around. And everyone else has to stand there, waiting. This goes on all Winter. It's why I try to make paths for them, with "pull off zones" and shortcuts.

      Delete
  3. Lets hope the Friday that more snow is predicted is several weeks away! Looks like you have quite enough to last you awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a lot. But I'm glad it's not ice! If we get a warm day then a freeze, we will be in real trouble.

      Delete
  4. It looks like a lot, especially when taking care of a farm. Keep pacing yourself - it is hard to work in deep snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything just takes so much longer, but once I'm suited up and outside, it makes sense to do as much as possible while I'm already soaking wet. But "as much as possible" isn't really all that much, so there's a built-in pacing effect.

      Delete
  5. Good grief, that's a LOT of snow. I hope Friday's is just flurries. Take care of yourself, Quinn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You amaze me! I'm with Piper--I'll just stay in the house, thank you veddy much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am living vicariously through your posts. I used to have a little acreage and my horses when I was much younger and I loved nothing more than to go feed my horses out in the barn at night when I got home from work. It would snow and blow but the barn was cozy and I too had fleece riding pants! I had forgotten all about them. They were wonderful! I could have used those snow shoes! I live in the south now and I miss my farm and the snow but I don't miss trying to push a grocery cart through a parking lot full of snow! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cozy in the barn, isn't it? Although horses generate a lot more warmth than goats! But just getting out of the wind makes such a difference. Sometimes I sit for a while and just listen to the sounds of goats eating and settling down. It really is a pleasure :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.