Wednesday, June 26, 2019

seven sketches



Pencil sketch made in the barn while keeping an eye on Hazel.
She had broken a horn tip and was feeling vulnerable.
She soon felt much better.




Another breakage: I dropped two of my porcelain watercolor dishes
before I even had a chance to use them.
They come in a set of five little stacking dishes and one cover.
Now I have four dishes and no cover.
This is, as they say, why we can't have nice things.




This watercolor card was painted on the Solstice.
I was thinking about how the sun comes up behind my hemlock tree.




And these standing stones at Avebury were drawn from an historical photograph.




These not-standing stones are in the South Paddock.
Moxie kept me company while I was painting
but she had a challenging time trying to stretch out comfortably on the highest one.




There have been very, very few iris flowers this year - I don't know why.
Maybe more will bloom before the summer is over?
I live in hope.




Meanwhile, I have the rudbeckia -
although a goat first tried to have a piece of this one!
~~~~~

10 comments:

  1. Very nice flow to your presentation. Not many people draw or paint rocks, but they make interesting subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leigh! They are everywhere I look - and they hold still :)

      Delete
  2. Lots of rain might have given the irises a bit of depression. Lovely artwork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I wondered about the rain, but last year was even wetter, and there were many first-time iris flowers - I had to check back in my photographs from last year to see if I was remembering the June timing correctly.

      Delete
  3. Irises around here were not too great this year. Maybe too many cold wet nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the cold nights aspect may be the answer! We had unusually cold nights for quite a while even when the days were very warm. It set my vegetable planting back a good ten days. Well, "good" might not be the best word to use there...I hope the corn and sweet potatoes will have a long enough season!

      Delete
  4. These are so pretty, and each so different. I like the broken dishes drawing, although not the fact they were broken. Does it hurt to break the tip of a horn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sally - it wasn't until I photographed a bunch of daily markmaking sketches all at once that I noticed how varied they were :) Good question about the horn - maybe I'll write a post about it. With a youngster like Hazel, a fair percentage of the horn contains living tissue, and I'm sure it was sensitive. As the goats get older and horns get longer, damage is unlikely to cause a problem. In fact, the way they crash their horns together in a dominance challenge is unbelievably forceful!

      Delete
  5. I suspect the wet and cool temperatures probably have a lot to do with the lack of flowers. The farmers in this area had an awful time getting crops in because of all the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have actually seen all of your illustrations and I liked every one of them. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.