Wednesday, March 27, 2019

somewhat wordy wednesday

I'm sorry about the recent lack of updates - cashmere harvesting is well underway, and it's been a challenge just keeping up with daily chores. I've been trying to write ever since I posted that one photograph of Azalea with her newborn girl, but more than once in the past week I have actually fallen asleep while uploading photographs. Jolting awake because you start to fall over in your seat is a very unpleasant sensation, and I don't recommend it!

Anyway...

Here is one of my favorite pictures of Azalea and her little girl,
on the baby's first outing in the barn paddock at 3 days old:


And here is another picture of them, taken this morning:


I wonder what has captured their attention?


Could it be...

 ...another kid?

Vinca's boy was born Monday evening.

Today, both mamas brought their babies out of the barn and into the bright sunshine.
It was still below freezing, but the day gradually warmed up to around 40F.

The girl isn't wearing her jacket because she runs around like crazy outside.
She still wears it at night, though - it's gotten down as low at 18F this week. 


In case you are wondering about names, so am I!
As I've mentioned before, all the goats born here have been named for something that was either blooming or leafing out when they were born.
You can imagine the difficulty I'm having in coming up with suitable names for these two, with the ground still mostly frozen.
Will I have to change my naming system?
I'd rather not.
Feel free to make suggestions.
I'm thinking of calling my BFF (Best Forester Friend) and asking if he's seen something I've missed. Even bud-break would qualify at this point!

Meanwhile, right on schedule at 10 days old,
Azalea's daughter tackled Goat Mountain for the first time:


And at not even 2 days old, Vinca's boy was doing extremely well learning to manage those long legs while climbing around the many obstacles in the paddock:


When Vinca was calling him this evening, I pointed out that
her baby had already put himself to bed in the barn.
He must have had the most exciting day of his life :)

~~~~~

15 comments:

  1. Are there any evergreens you could use for naming? I love the new babies. Also surprised at how quickly goats grow up and reproduce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen any new growth yet on conifers, have you? Tsuga was named when hemlock was showing lots of new green. I'm keeping my eyes open for larch!
    These does will both be 5 years old in May. Many people breed goats younger than I do, but I've never bred til the does are close to 2 years old - usually more - when they have their first kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do the things have to be blooming where you are? Because here in Texas there are lots of things blooming already: Redbud, Bradford Pear, Bluebonnets, Indian Paintbrush. Well, OK, those aren't very good names, except maybe Redbud. Guess moving to Texas doesn't really help. Good luck with finding names; these babies are adorable. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of like Bradford Pear :)
      Up until now, it's all been local plants, but this may be the year I have to expand my horizons! Thanks for your suggestions - I'm a bit envious of your already-colorful landscape.

      Delete
  4. Very cute! The crocuses have just started blooming here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should plant crocuses! Making a note :) We've got warm, wet weather predicted in the next few days, so I think we'll start seeing plants greening up here too.

      Delete
  5. Golden currants (Ribes aureum) are leafing out, Oregon grape (Mahonia spp) and willows are in bud, and prairie starflower (Lithophragmus spp) is in full flower out here in southern Idaho. If that helps. :-) Hope you thaw out and leaf out soon!

    One of your newer fans (and so enjoying working my way through the archives!) and former New Englander -

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Southern Idaho sounds beautiful! Thanks for your suggestions and welcome to Comptonia - your comment made my morning :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations, the babies are so cute. We seem to be rushing through spring right into summer. Things have been blooming here for a while now. The first flower to bloom at are place was persian buttercup (ranunculus).Buttercup sounds like a nice name :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. February seemed to last forever here, but March is almost over as soon as it arrived...Spring cannot be far behind, I hope!
      Buttercup is a lovely name :)

      Delete
  7. One more thought: Skunk cabbage is an extremely early bloomer, with its amazing exothermic abilities. Could it be blooming deep in the swamps? On the other hand - tough to make a good goat name from that. What could one come up with from its generic name Symplocarpus?

    Cheers,
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable! It is good you do get rest.
    Do you have a Snowdrop or a Trillium in your flock?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alas nothing growing here - as we woke up to nearly six inches of the white stuff this morning. Adorable babies in your paddock and many moments of delight for you watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What amazingly cute kids! You captured some splendid photos of them :) I take that nothing is peeking out of the duff yet?!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! Love seeing these photos. They need snow names! Or winter names.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.