Wednesday, October 24, 2018

changes

I started writing this yesterday, but was too tired to be coherent. Every waking moment of Tuesday was spent shifting goats around to keep two young bucks separated from the does, several of whom came into season yesterday morning.

Rocket at 13 days.

I had contacted my vet to try to get her out to wether both boys last week - which would have been perfect timing - but didn't even hear back. I managed to catch her with my third call, on Monday. I'm reluctantly wondering if it's time to look for another vet. I certainly don't expect someone to drop everything to rush out to my place, but I do need someone who will return my calls. I like my vet, but her practice has grown and this is not the first time I've felt like she just isn't "there" for me anymore; the last time, there was a communication delay for several weeks with the result that vaccines were administered at a time when their efficacy was reduced - which frankly, stuck in my craw. I'm a good client. I am respectful of the time of others. I don't complain about expenses and I pay my bills instantly. My animals matter to me.

[Deep cleansing breath.]

Anyway, the boys' appointment is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

Rocket now.

I'm a little sorry neither of these boys will sire offspring as they are both quite nice in terms of conformation. I even checked with the owners of their dad, in case they might want to have Rocket for his genetic potential - his mother is the daughter of my best doe, and is a good cashmere goat in her own right - but they are fully stocked with bucks. So, wethering it is. Mallow and Rocket will be happy and there won't be a constant risk of unplanned breedings.


In other news, I found my largest baking pan - it still had this watercolor taped to it, as I had used it as a drawing board back in July - 


and have started baking the candy roasters.


I started with the largest squash, which was 11 pounds 8 ounces - I had to cook it in two shifts! I've got several pounds of gorgeous purée in the freezer already. I will try to save some of the squash whole, for cooking in the Winter - it's lovely to cut into a squash and relive summer in that fresh aroma.


One quarter of the 11.5-pound candy roaster

The temperature has dropped below freezing several times at night, but a few nights ago it went down to the 20s F and the gardens really showed it the next morning. I pulled up all the remaining okra plants, and saved some wilted zinnia heads in hopes of seeds. I'm not sure how that works - do you know if the seeds have already matured before all the petals have dropped, or if they haven't developed and won't be viable? - but it's worth a try. I now have cardboard trays of seeds all over the porch - zinnias, bee balm, Suyo Long cucumbers, two varieties of okra, and candy roaster squash. The plan is to get all the seeds dry and into envelopes before I knock the cardboard trays over or the cats start playing in the seeds or Piper swings her tail and sends everything flying.

Piper on our long walk in the woods on Monday.
Plenty of tail-swinging that day!

There are still zinnias in jars on my windowsill, and I will enjoy them as long as possible. And of course, there are dozens of photographs on my laptop. I could keep drawing and painting zinnias for quite a while, I think. Maybe I will.


My eyes are almost closing as I type and I have yet to do my Daily Markmaking, so I'd better get cracking! I hope your week is going well :)
~~~~~

10 comments:

  1. That candy roaster was one mighty big squash. Wethering is a new term for me so had to look it up, although I knew what it meant because of your description but didn't realize there was a specific term for goat castration. I think you have every right to expect a timely callback from the vet's office. If she's not able to take care of your goats when you'd like, then a response in that regard is all that's needed so you know what you need to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was exactly it. If I had simply known how long it was going to be before she could get here, I would have built a small temporary pen and shelter for the boys last week, and by now they would have been completely weaned and both they and their mamas would have been at ease and the herd would have been settled. Instead, every goat here is in a state of upset and I have been doing way more physical goatwrangling than I should have to, or than should have been necessary. I feel like I've "been drug through a knothole backwards!"

      Delete
  2. How frustrating with the vet - communication is so important with a vet. I didn't realize that squash was so big! I chuckled at the vision of seeds flying everywhere - I hope that doesn't happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, on the seeds...I still have some "mystery seeds" envelopes from last year! ;)

      Delete
  3. Lovely pictures. Not returning calls is not easy to deal with. Maybe a polite mention might help. I hope you have better experiences in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I am always polite. The last time, when there was a delay of weeks, I asked if she was hinting that she does not want to be out vet any longer. That's when I found out about the sudden burst of new clients. But still, she said no, she wasn't hinting.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your kind words about our recent veterinary event. They meant a lot to me.

    I have had a similar issue with my vet, who I've been with for almost 20 years. She opened her own practice, which was great at first because she had very few clients. That has changed in a huge way. When we first called her about R's eyes, we were told that her next available appt was a month away. We ended up going to an emergency place. I do slightly blame her for the delays in treatment...

    I agree with Salty Pumpkin about a polite mention... perhaps she didn't get the message or there was some other mistake by an employee?

    Love your zinnia picture. You are so very talented. I love seeing your art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that sounds like a very similar situation. I'm so glad you were able to have R's surgery sooner than that!
      Thank you for the encouraging words about the zinnias and the art efforts in general. Hard to believe yesterday was #300 in the Daily Markmaking adventure!

      Delete
  5. I agree with you about cutting into squash you have grown and reliving summer memories of it growing. That Candy Roaster reminds me of a dried loofah squash I have, although it was never 11# 5 ounces!!! If I ever see a seedling of that squash, I am going to try and grow it. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, I'm saving seeds! Send me an email with your mailing address and I'll pop a few in the mail for your 2019 garden :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.