Tuesday, March 13, 2018

postcard from this morning



Falling.


And blowing.

I'm very happy when the occasional gust take some of the snow from the trees.
The less weight on the trees, the easier I feel.


Despite the dense snowfall, birds have been busy at the feeder since before daylight. Right now there are at least two dozen taking turns: woodpeckers, goldfinches, juncos, cardinals, titmice. They are not even wasting time warning each other off the feeder - just eating as fast as they can.


I put a loop of 6-foot fence around the feeder a few days ago, to keep the chickens out from under it. They were ignoring their own bowl and eating up all the millet I put on a platform and on the ground for the wild birds. Bonus: the fence is providing lots of great perching opps. Not very nice to look at, but as a first attempt at any new experimental design, I always go for function over elegance ;)



I have doubts about how clear these images will be, but I'm not going to edit them. I want you to experience the full dim and murky effect of this, the third big storm in what seems, unbelievably, like only a couple of weeks.

It seems like it because it is.
Whew.

I don't mind telling you, I brought out the serious reinforcements for this one. Not just the extra hay and prepping the barns the night before. Not just filling water jugs in case we lose power.

No.

This time I went to the grocery store and bought:

creamsicles
chips
and ginger beer.

I also made a roast yesterday and cooked a pound of pasta,
because I am a grown-up.

But it's the ginger beer that will get me through.

Cheers!

~~~~~


16 comments:

  1. Thanks for a chuckle--and the neat photos--enjoy, di

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see all your birds. Living in Philly, we don't have a lot of variety. For a couple of years we had a cardinal pair nearby and that was a thrill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very happy to see cardinals appearing - aren't they gorgeous? They don't always come here, and I don't know why!

      Delete
  3. Power went at 11am. Batteries and internet is a wonderful thing (and lots of extra layers to stay warm). I'm dying for a cup of tea.

    I love the fence around your feeder! Birds have been crazy active all day here, too. A bright spot in my day. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fence has now become a ladder and diving board for squirrels. I wouldn't mind but the birds won't come to the feeder when the squirrels are on it. Must put on my thinking cap again...

      Delete
  4. Creamsicles, chips and ginger beer - you're all set for the duration. Here's hoping it's not as predicted and that it leaves right smart quickly. Funny how you don't need a report on the news about the weather - you just have to watch the birds because they know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran out of creamsicles yesterday and am planning a trip to the grocery store before the next snow on Wednesday.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear your as ready as possible and all creatures are fed and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pictures really czpture it all and so does your writing. Hope you have a bright day soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so nice to see a comment from you, and a new blogpost now and then :)

      Delete
  7. Hang in there and enjoy the ginger beer. Imagine how happy your spring flowers will be! Meanwhile, we are already being threatened by a wildfire. ;(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw there was a 3-acre fire on the weekend...hope it's over and the threat has disappeared. Some things even ginger beer can't fix.

      Delete
  8. All okay up there? Haven't seen a post in a while.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.