Saturday, September 24, 2016

quilts

I had the pleasure of viewing many, many quilts this week, at the Eastern States Exposition in Springfield, MA. Here are some snapshots I took to share with the needlefolk and sewing-persons and quilters among you.
And anyone who just enjoys color!

Sorry I couldn't get close to the quilts to photograph them,
but you'll get a taste, at least.

There were also lovely garments displayed on these nifty wooden silhouettes.
This simple design looks like something I could really use,
and might possibly even be able to make!


I like this tunic-y smock very much also, but it's harder to see the structure of the garment through the pattern of the fabric. (Making a note in my new Fabric Design sketchbook.)

Some of the stitchwork made me think of Sally at Crafts, Cavies and Cooking :)




I just realized I have no photographs of the hexi-shape quilts that are very popular right now. They must have been there. There was a huge variety of quilts - at least to my eye. Some of the simple repeating patterns made with lots of tiny pieces remind me of the quilts I grew up with.



Oh, and this last one is not a quilt. It's a hooked rug.
This really caught my eye, as it is a view I have experienced hundreds of times in my life, and which has never failed to provide a warm thrill of anticipation.
Can't you smell that salt air?


I couldn't determine if the rug-maker, Robin Salmaggi,  is also the designer.

Here's a closer look, so you can see the color detail:


And now I'm going to sign off before evening chores, which are starting earlier. It's no fun carrying buckets across a paddock in the dark - my paddocks have a lot of micro-topography - and I've done it several times in the past week.
There has been stumbling and cursing.
It's possible the goats learned a new word or two.

Guess it's time to admit the days are not just "getting" shorter here in the northern hemisphere...they are shorter.

Onward!
~~~~~

5 comments:

  1. Ooh. Pretty quilts. I love the seaside one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the seaside one too! And all the bold colors in the others!

    Yes, the days are shorter, and it's hard to accept. I end up walking the dogs in the dark a lot at this time of year :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice quilts. Check out the website template.net for paisley patterns. Its a lot of fun designing paisley. I suggest also using templates you can buy on Amazon and elsewhere or making your own templates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! Sewing is something I never learned but I do love quilts. I love color and pattern. Especially love seeing art quilts that are the size for hanging on the wall. Those silhouette figures are pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Quilting was my first love. I should make some time this winter to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.