Monday, May 27, 2013

the perfect bean for me

Tipper at Blind Pig and the Acorn recently invited me to participate in a Sow True Seeds bean planting project.  It simply involves planting some lovely organic heirloom beans in my garden, taking some pictures and reporting back.
~~~

By the way, I use the expression "my garden" loosely. Very loosely.  I live in a woodsy spot, and although the goats have been working very hard in recent years to create a clearing, I still spend a lot of time in April and May squinting up, looking for little gaps in the canopy that may allow enough light through to support vegetable plants.

Then I dig a little hole between the rocks, making a spot for for a few seeds and plants.  I try to do this without breaking another shovel handle.

So, it's a little spot here, and a little spot there. And everywhere there are countless insects and critters just rubbing their little feet and paws together in anticipation every time they see me out there with a shovel, a water jug, and a look of optimistic determination.
~~~

Naturally (because of that optimistic thing), when Tipper kindly invited me to join in on the bean project, I was delighted!

And Tipper found just exactly the right beans for me:


I opened the package at the letterbox, and started laughing while standing right there on the road.

I am still laughing!

My standards for seed have expanded. Now it's not just "organic" I want to see on the seed packet...it's organic and lazy!



And now that the sun is shining at last, I will be puttering away in my patch.  It was 34F when I got up this morning, but I hope for better things from now on.

Fingers crossed.

Except when I'm swatting at the clouds of blackflies.  Can't do that with crossed fingers.  It makes the blackflies laugh while they are biting me.
~~~

And here are a few of my first lazy beans, having a soak before planting, to give them a little headstart.


Because the way I garden, seeds and plants need every little bit of an advantage they can possibly get.  Good luck, little beans!
~~~

By the way, in case you aren't familiar with "greasy beans" - the name refers to the way the bean pods look shiny, due to a lack of the fuzz typical of other green beans. Here is a fuzzy bean:


And  one day I hope to have a greasy bean comparison shot!
~~~

There are apparently many, many, many varieties of greasy beans from the Appalachian region and thereabouts, where families have grown their own special favorites year after year.
For generations.
Sometimes, for hundreds of years.
If you google "greasy beans" it will be a fun adventure!

What are your favorite green beans?
Have you ever grown greasy beans?
If so, can you please send some bean-growing good thoughts my way?
My beans and I thank you!
~~~~~

11 comments:

  1. I did one of Tippers seed tests last year. Such fun and free seeds! I actually found last year that my "bad day" seeds produced more. I look forward to your results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year all the seeds I planted were either washed away or rotted during a very, very wet spell. Kind of like the one we've been having this past week. But I'm trying to work around the raindrops!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the beans. It sounds like you and I live in similar places for gardening! I too squint at the canopy looking for holes where I might be able to grow a vegetable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really adds to the "miraculous" aspect of producing a vegetable, doesn't it? ;)

      Delete
  3. Huh. I have no idea about types and varieties and stuff. I just like the type of green beans that gets eaten whole, after boiling, and that's about it...
    Good luck! I enjoyed your descriptions of your "garden" and its eager insects. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love green beans, too. And yellow beans. I could eat steamed whole beans and summer squash every day all summer long, and feel pretty happy about it :)

      Delete
  4. P.S. Phaseolus! I did not know that either, but it explains why it's called "fazole" in Czech. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you cleared the "greasy" question up for us...Wife, Lazy and Greasy, all in one title - hmmmmmm.

    I hope your beans grown big and tall - wondering why no one asks me to get in on planting projects here in the Vegas desert - HAHAHAHAHAHA! Happy Thursday, Quinn - Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like I'm not the only one with challenging conditions for gardening! But my biggest challenge is probably that "lazy" bit ;)

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for playing along : ) And like you-I laughed when I read the name of the beans! I hope they grow amazingly for you : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.