Sunday, November 12, 2017

one quick sketch


Daytime temperatures have been ranging from 15-40F this week - quite a shocking plummet from ~70F one week prior. I set up one of the bucket de-icers a few days ago; I think this may be a record for how early in the season I've done that.


At noon today it was 32F, not windy, and brightly sunny. I went outside with the cats - who zipped around maniacally and were probably quite warm - and Piper - who almost immediately turned around and stood at the door, waiting for it to open in the correct direction. I opened the door and she headed straight for her couch, which I must admit, does look rather appealing:



In the time it took to open the door for Piper and take this picture, both cats raced back inside, did a lap around the house, and then raced back outside again. Wheee!

My energy level is somewhere between the cats' and Piper's. I went back outside with one little pan of black watercolor paint, a waterbrush, and a little sketchbook. I tilted back in a chaise (which felt exactly like having an icepack on my back which was fine with me) and I painted this quick sketch looking up into a red oak:


My fingers were soon numb, so Moxie and Della and I came inside. They are already cozily asleep in pools of sunshine. I'm going to back outside to set up the second, slightly more complicated, bucket de-icer. Which will pretty much guarantee a return of warmer weather.
Here's hoping!
~~~~~

9 comments:

  1. I love the photo of Piper in the sun puddle. That does look appealing. It's always hardest to adapt when winter zooms in, dropping the temps by so far. I hope that you get some more warm days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 15F was just too darned cold all at once! Here's to a reprieve :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I bet your fingers were numb!

    Crazy cats, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had intended to do two paintings. One was plenty ;)

      Delete
  3. I like your sketch! It's in my kind of style. I have to say you were brave to do it outdoors. Piper has the better idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting colder here too; must be the time of year... :-) Love the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your bucket de-icing efforts did result in the weather turning warmer. After our snow of last week it's been better but cloudy and rained a couple of days. Every day without the white stuff is one day closer to spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Piper has the right idea. When it's that cold, I'd rather snuggle on the couch under a blanket :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds cold! Brrr! I think I would do what piper did ;-) Interesting sketch, but don't get too cold doing them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.