Sunday, October 15, 2017

in the works

Guess who's coming back.



Last year I decided that 2017 must be The Year of the Roof.
My insurance company concurs.
Vehemently.

After the very successful porch renovation project almost exactly three years ago - can you believe it? I had to check the date twice, but I started taking down the screenwalls in November 2014! - I definitely wanted the same Excellent Carpenter for this next major job.

Stepping back to 2014 for a moment:


my first carpenter/handyperson had to stop partway into the porch reno project due to the onset of severe carpal tunnel issues. (Happy ending: after months of waiting for an appointment, he ultimately had surgery and was completely relieved of all pain! Huzzah!) And meanwhile I was unbelievably lucky to find the Excellent Carpenter who was willing to step in and get the porch buttoned up in a very short timeframe.
And beautifully.
Remember?


Ahhhhh.

Okay, back to 2017.

When we spoke in March, the carpenter told me his first available slot would be sometime in October, and I said, "Please pencil me in. No, use INK." And as good as his word, he came out on the 5th to discuss details, as there is actually more to this project than replacing shingles or even replacing the roof. I've been doing a lot of planning and pricing and pondering and running around ever since. There have been unrelated complications: my vehicle was in the shop three separate days; medical issues (human, canine, feline, and caprine); and my Occasional Helper and I have had mostly out-of-sync schedules. Also, migraines. Oh well.

But after that meeting on the 5th, and some back-and-forth on the phone, and a follow-up visit at 7AM on this past Friday for final measurements, enough decisions have been made to Get On With Things. Tomorrow evening at 4:45 the carpenter and I are going to meet at my Town Hall (the Building Inspector has only 2 office hours/week) and apply to pull a Permit so work can begin on Tuesday.

Tuesday!

Unless there's a problem with getting the Permit. There shouldn't be. But I mentioned the time so you can send good vibes if you happen to think of it. 5PM Eastern time. Thanks.

"Pull a permit"...an odd expression, isn't it? For filling out a form, presenting a plan that complies with local codes, and writing a check to the town? Tell me, do you need permission to replace, remodel, build anything over a certain size, where you live? If so, what is that process called? Are you also pulling something?

So, on we go. There will be lots of process/progress updates on this somewhat scarily major project. Hopefully beginning Tuesday!

Meanwhile, looking back on a moment of calm, Friday evening:


 Actually, it was more like two hours of calm.
In a stocktank filled with hot water.
Spa 2.0

~~~~~

10 comments:

  1. We just had to "get" a permit to put a bathroom in our basement. Almost done. Finally a second shower for this family of 11!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be dizzy with delight! Huge congratulations!!

      Delete
  2. First, yay on the new roof! The whole place will be warmer this winter. And we have to get permits for anything that isn't a straight replacement. We get the permit, pull out the checkbook. Quite often the contractor does all that paperwork and the fee is rolled into the grand awful total.

    Has it really been that long since we all lived through the porch work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to believe, isn't it? Time. Funny stuff!

      Delete
  3. I remember the completion of the porch. I can't believe it was that long ago! Huzzah for more work being done. May the rest of October be a bit smoother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Most Excellent news and am praying all goes well! I've often thought about your project, wondered how it was going. Be safe and had never even thought of work permits. Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been three years since your porch! Oh my - time doesn't just fly, it must be in hyper-drive! I'm confident all will go well and that you'll have new progress photos to show us soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy new roof!
    It's stunning my brain the renovation was that long ago. I even forgot I don't have coffee yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, permits are required here too....another way for the city to make more money and then, because they are now aware that you've made some sort of home improvement, they can feel justified in raising the taxes too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am flabbergasted that it's been THREE YEARS!! Honestly, it really does seem like maybe last year. I'm so glad you have everything in line to proceed, and actually today is THE day!! Sending good vibes ;)
    oh, and we "get" a permit ... no pulling involved. We pull long faces, pull over, pull up, pull towards ... but we do NOT pull permits. Must be a New England term. I like old-fashioned sayings you won't hear anywhere else.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.