Saturday, July 22, 2017

and ye shall find

Yesterday I went looking for a yellow daylily.

Last year, a lovely one bloomed along the top of the steep bank garden between the driveway and the Upper West Side paddock. I hadn't noticed it this year.

Until I went looking.
I looked down onto the garden from the paddock above -
it was a sort of low-altitude aerial reconnaissance mission -
and there it was, rising lemony in a sea of green:


I made a note to get in there on the first decent day, to remove clinging climbers that are complicating the lives of perennial plants I am taking pains to encourage.

If there is one thing this season of rain has made clear, it is that procrastination is a fool's game. So today when I got back from the recycling run and trip to the library and feedstore and dairy, I went down with pruners and a huge plastic tub to fill with clippings. Tsuga and her girls spotted me right away and ambled down to the fence to await a salad delivery.

Fern:

Tsuga:

The bank garden has come a long way in the past three years or so.
It's a lot of work to try to reclaim it, but the rewards are great.


~~~~~


7 comments:

  1. Nice picture
    Salad delivery...video please. That sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An extra pair of hands would be required :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It really is! Not glaringly bright, but very deep. This daylily was a surprise that came along with another perennial given to me by a woman in town. Her gardens are unbelievable, AND she has a little koi pond.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. The flowers have had a rough start with all the rain, but one by one they are appearing to dazzle me and greet the pollinators :)

      Delete
  4. Nice picture
    Salad delivery...video please. \


    แตกใน xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.