Saturday, March 14, 2015

sleety saturday


Every day for the past week, I've been combing goats for at least an hour and a half in the morning, and usually another hour or more in the afternoon. The weather has been ideal - the exact opposite of last year! - so I have to strike while the iron is hot. Or make hay while the sun shines. I'd do more every day if my back and hands could take it. As it is, I just have to be patient and do as much as I can, as often as I can. I break it up into a few sessions. It's slow, but it's coming along nicely.


Today was an unplanned day off from combing, due to a change in the weather. It was alternating freezing rain and sleet all day - even goats who chose to spend the whole day in the barn felt slightly damp. Just on their outer coats, that is; they are perfectly warm and cozy! But they can't be combed when they are damp. Just fed and watered and visited.


Piper helped with chores tonight, as usual.
She's a trouper!
We were both soaked to the skin when we came in.
Piper was toweled off right away and has since been napping,
but soon she'll be yawning and stretching
and wondering what happened to supper.

Must be my turn to cook?

Guess I'd better get to it.

Hope you're having a lovely weekend!
~~~~~

14 comments:

  1. My first thought when you said how much time you were spending brushing was that it would KILL my back to try to do that. I sure hope you have an ergonomic set-up so you have the best chance of not being in pain!

    Sorry about the rain/sleet today. That sounds yucky. I love the photo of Piper reflected in the window. Very creative and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Piper doesn't like to be photographed these days, so I have to be quick...or sneaky!

      Delete
  2. I agree with KB - that would kill my back.

    We're waiting for our rains to start, and you want them over and done. Humans - we're never satisfied, are we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not complaining about one day of sleet after a week of nice weather - gave me a chance to post here :)

      Delete
  3. Prayers for your back
    Do you have a special combing chair for you and the goats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Not exactly; I have a couple of stools and cushions, and try to be careful with my position and also not stay in one position for more than 15 minutes or so.

      Delete
  4. ugh, Quinn...as soon as I read "combing" my hand spasmed...well, almost. I feel for you...this time of year, my hands are aching like crazy. A young woman who helps me sometimes tells me, "Well, I'm not trying to be mean or anything (and here I know it's coming...) but it's prolly arthuritis (yes, say it like it's spelled) and that's what's causing the pain. My Grandma has it too." YEOUCH, Faith! Then again, I am old enough to be her Grandma so maybe it is "arthuritis". Praying for better health to overtake you...soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it might surprise your helper, but the first time a doctor told me I have arthritis, I was 23. I may be slow at a lot of things, but when it comes to physical degeneration, I was pretty quick off the mark! Like I tell Piper when she gets into the trash and distributes it evenly throughout the house: "We are ALL good at something!"

      Delete
  5. Do the goats enjoy this process? Wonder if they find all that combing to be meditative. I don't suppose it's much fun for you though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The goats - for the most part - enjoy their treats and are pretty comfortable with being combed. And when the goat being combed is relaxed and standing quietly, I do feel myself drifting into a sort of meditative state now and then. It lasts until the goat indicates that it's time for another treat.

      Delete
  6. It has been pretty rainy recently. I hope your goats get dry soon. I don't even have goats to comb, but my hands were achy over the weekend as the storm came in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get the crazy hailstorm and heavy winds this afternoon? Came up out of nowhere! Twenty minutes later, giant snowflakes and the sun shining. Wild stuff.

      Delete
  7. Your goats look extremely huggable! Most of my goats enjoy being brushed, which isn't exactly the same, but they love the attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you made a LOT of hay while that sun shined...I love your goats, maybe more than you do (probably because I don't have to do the work)...PIPER, TOO!!! I always love when she shows up in windows here! Yeah, I need to stay more current on my reading now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading each one, and will usually reply either here or on YOUR blog!

Due to spam, Anonymous comments are blocked. I'm hoping to avoid the annoying Word Verification gizmo! If you find you cannot leave a comment, please email me so we can try to sort it out.